Nike really wants Skechers to stop "Skecherizing" its designs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/09/nike-really-wants-skechers-to.html

1 Like

Interestingly enough, I was dating someone that complained about my Sketchers. I found them on sale and I wear size 15, but their 14s fit…when you have feet the size of mine, if shoes fit at a decent price, YOU BUY THEM.

She hated the fact that they looked so ugly. And they were a ‘shit brand’. And mentioned it all the damn time. And then one day I look down and shout TWINSIES…about the only difference was the Nike Swoop and the ugly S. No seriously, the S really is bad. If I could pull it off the two sketchers I have without ruining the shoe, I would. But not bad enough that I actually care.

She didn’t care for the irony.

8 Likes

I feel for you. I used to have to take out-of-town trips as a teenager to buy pants. I have been blessed with “small” feet (I can wear size 13 of many brands). I have a relative an inch shorter than me with size 15 feet who has a hell of a time.

3 Likes

Nike designs shoe, Sketchers copies shoe, Nike says Sketchers shoe is ugly.
of-course

10 Likes

Nike shoes are too tight on my feet.

2 Likes

Yeah, a lot of the time shoes are all about figuring out which ones fit. PreInternet Shopping, I’d have to go out of town as a kid to find shoes…I was wearing 13s as a preteen — and 30+ years ago…13s were hard to find. I’m lucky, the rest of my body is kinda average sized. Or at least within the reasonable range of the normal curve.

I have a friend, however, who is 6’. And a little odd shaped as her legs are longer than mine even though she is two inches shorter than me. So every pair of pants are high waters or custom made. She wears a LOT of girly dresses as a result. And she’s told me she HATES dresses, but they are the only things that she can get off the shelf that looks professional.

3 Likes

I live out of my Sketchers “Professional Shoes”. They feel more comfortable than my sneakers and can pass for something that goes with a suit if I have to go to a place where it is mandatory.

2 Likes

What patentable technologies are there in a shoe?

My understanding is that visual design ripoffs are unfortunate but not actionable - one thing that’s not copyrightable is clothing designs.

3 Likes

I’ve bought a couple of cheap Skechers over the years and my overall review of them is that they’ll do but they’re not great. The kind i bought were the faux-leather ones that you can get away wearing in a professional setting but i just found the shoes to be cheap. They didn’t fall apart or anything, i just wasn’t too crazy about them. I hadn’t really thought about them being blatant rip-offs of other designs, but then again i find that a lot of sneakers tend to be ugly regardless if they’re Nike, Skechers,etc. so i tend to be very picky about what i buy.

1 Like

If anyone would think I looked professional in a dress I’d wear them all the time. One day I’m going to snap and stop caring and it’ll be dresses, dresses, dresses.

4 Likes

Skechers makes some actually decent work shoes, with steel toes and anti-slip soles, for much less than a pair of work boots. And they don’t look half bad, IMO. Modern sneakers are some of the ugliest footwear I’ve ever seen, and while I understand Skechers’ wanting to climb on the stupid shoe bandwagon, I think they could probably do just as well if not better with designs that don’t look like something a short clown would wear to look taller.

1 Like

When I was a kid in the 70s, a local shoe store had a pair of size 15 white Converse high tops in the window. The accompanying sign read, “if they fit, they’re yours.”

1 Like

Orthotics, support, cushioning, plus a lot of things I don’t know the technical terms for but which make the shoes a hell of a lot more comfortable.

2 Likes

Nike really wants Skechers to stop “Skecherizing” its designs

For those that wonder what a “first world problem” is, this pretty much sums it up.

1 Like

Maybe Nike doesn’t expect to win. This could be a strategy to draw attention and try the case in the court of public opinion. If nothing else, it will reinforce Nike aficionado’s brand loyalty.

1 Like

Maybe they’ll eat each other.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s more like “compete and maybe starve anyway” or “be born rich and ride that capital.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.