Nikki Haley: Confederate flag meant 'service, sacrifice, heritage' until Dylann Roof 'hijacked' it

Part of me wants to go find all the old newspaper photos of people marching in white robes and pointy hoods covering their faces with the confederate flag proudly carried at the front of the procession.

But then I think about what a pain it is to delete my search history…

13 Likes

There’s some history to her flag-loving ways.

28 Likes

22 Likes

Hey Hey Hey, lets go back and see what the Confederacy has to say about this…
fark_WLrN_X3iyptCBNWyVn8Ik3FeGgY

35 Likes

I mean, technically she’s not wrong (except about the Dylan Roof bit), in that her statement literally applies to any flag (e.g. Nazi flag). Of course one wouldn’t say that about the Nazi flag because we all understand that there are a set of questions not being answered: Service to what? Sacrifice for what cause? Whose heritage? But the answers to those questions are utterly damning in this case and show Dylan Roof was simply following in the tradition, not hijacking anything. Which I think she damn well knows.

16 Likes

Yes, all those things are true, that it was service, sacrifice, heritage TO white supremacy. She’s arguing against the white supremacy part prior to Roof… and it did not stop meaning those things after hm either. She just flat out denying reality, which I’m a little sick of from her ilk.

25 Likes

Imagine if post-WWII Germany proclaimed to the world:
“Okay, anti-Semitism is wrong … but you can’t expect us to take down all of our swastika flags, right?”

28 Likes

Haley definitely didn’t come from the plantation. Nikki is a nickname for Nimrata and Haley’s maiden* name was Randhawa. Haley is the child of Indian American Sikhs. Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with Haley’s ignorance of the history of racism in the US or how Roof’s actions were an offshoot of rather than a perversion of that history. Just a biographical detail that Haley is in the somehow-doesn’t-get-that-they’ll-be-on-the-list crowd rather than the secretly-laughing-at-the-non-whites-who-don’t-get-that-they’ll-be-on-the-list crowd.

ETA: I never said why I put an asterisk beside “maiden” in the paragraph. It feels like we’ve shifted to calling them “birth” names and I felt a little weird using that word but I wanted to compactly indicate that Haley’s name was taken on in marriage, that it’s not weird thing where Haley took on an English name to pretend not to be Indian for the white supremacists.

23 Likes

Thank you. I knew there was something I didn’t like about that guy.

7 Likes

There’s always a few members of any oppressed minority who manage to carve themselves out a position of comfort within a White Supremacist power structure. That’s why the biggest villain in Django Unchained wasn’t Leonardo DiCaprio’s character, it was Samuel L. Jackson’s.

21 Likes

I suspect we’ll be hearing a lot more of this sort of shit from Haley. There’s some speculation that the GOP or Haley herself are attempting to set her up as a plan C in case Trump becomes unrunnable. Basically if public opinion flips on him, impeachment is successful or he resigns or his tiny black heart explodes. If Pence goes down with him, or refuses to run you need another option and they aren’t going to back Weld.

Plus if Trump is removed and Pence bumped up you need a replacement VP. So Haley is either already officially on deck, or angling for it. With a head start on 2024 as the bonus.

For that to work she’s gotta throw some asshole at the base. It wouldn’t surprise me if we started to see open speculation about Haley for VP as impeachment progresses. Or even a primary announcement out of her as we approach campaign deadlines.

The right tends to assume that the left is disingenuous in pushing inclusiveness or actually voting for anyone other than old white conservatives. The claim is it’s only done to fool minorities and women into supporting the Democrats.

So like clock work they heavily promote people like Haley in an attempt to fool those same people.

So even in the darkest time line I think she’s got a longer shelf life than you think. Even though it doesn’t work politicians like her provide cover and excuse to be agrieved. “The camps can’t be genocide, President Haley came up with it! Besides all the Black folks we’re killing are ungrateful. They didn’t even vote for Ben Carson!”.

17 Likes

Can right wingers just stop trying to rehabilitate slave owners for once?

23 Likes

no

11 Likes

The Morning Joe crowd thinks that Trump might get rid of Pence for the re-election (because Trump hates Pence) and that Haley is auditioning for that job. I saw a clip where they quoted something Haley said about Trump never being untruthful or something and Joe had a big old belly laugh and said, “Hey, Mike Pence, Duck!”

But I guess for Haley it’s all the same. Trump’s replacement VP, Pence’s VP, or the Presidential candidate after Trump implodes. Basically auditioning for all roles.

17 Likes

Yup. That’s already not news.

Haley is definitely doing what she can to stay in the national spotlight, and to throw scraps of red meat to the GOP base now and then.

Edit: @anon50609448 Jinx, you owe me a brewski.

16 Likes

They have proven that they can reject reality at will, and substitute their own narrative. They believe Democrats want to establish Sharia Law, for instance, and that Trump is a master politician and leader. So they can craft and believe a narrative that Haley is as white as you and I.

7 Likes

There are multiple Republicans running in the primary against Trump already.

7 Likes

Yeah its kind of a win win from her perspective. Which makes me think the push is mostly coming from Haley rather than leadership or Trump.

But they’re on the outs with leadership and hated by Trump’s base. The Trumpists aren’t anywhere near large enough to drive a win on their own. But they’re a big enough chunk of reliable GOP voters that they can split the conservative vote, or if they don’t show up in force GOP candidates are fucked. And they’ve already flipped a chunk of safe GOP offices from the usual suspects to hardliners.

So for the time being the GOP remains most concerned about challenge from the right. They won’t back any of the existing alternatives because they’re all “Never Trump” Republicans, and doing so would basically be throwing the election.

4 Likes

I have said it before, and I’ll say it again: White supremacist Jim Crow racists gonna white supremacist Jim Crow racist.

11 Likes

22 Likes