Nikki Haley's first big proposal? Raise the retirement age and cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for "the new generation"

36 Likes

“F them, I got mine.”

Remove. The. Cap.

14 Likes

It’s really been their policy for the longest time; she’s just spelling it out. There’s a reason why millennials do not expect that they’re going to ever let us retire.
I’m saving what I can for stability sake, but I can’t help but laugh myself hoarse everytime someone starts talking about “My retirement age goals”.

I’m extremely lucky (for the moment) to have an employer who matches a percentage; after I manage to pay down consumer debts, I intend to max Roth, but things like being able to even afford a house? Who the hell knows?

11 Likes

You think most Gen-Xers have any such expectations?

(Many of us don’t.)

Late stage capitalism is not sustainable.

23 Likes

Fair. Entirely fair.

7 Likes

Conservatives, nothing if not predictable…

5 Likes

“ You reform the entitlements, but you do it in a way that you don’t take anything away from seniors or people who are getting ready to retire. You focus on the new generation”

You go fuck yourself. But do it in a way that doesn’t harm seniors.

19 Likes

Well, today, anyway.

12 Likes

I get damn tired of people bitching and whining incessantly about Millennials (and soon Gen Z, I’m sure) when the previous generations are the ones who raised them, and also set them up for failure.

14 Likes

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

7 Likes

um… these are not entitlements.

I just wish the media would not let any of these d-bags get away with using this word but it just seems like is so entrenched in the dialogue. Dems are to blame for accepting this term as well.

16 Likes

what GIF

9 Likes

You came back after a 3 year absence just to misinterpret what I wrote?

@Mindysan33

Derailment, that would be my first guess…

18 Likes

Anyhoo, back on the actual topic at hand: hopefully this flawed tactic blows up in Haley’s face - sooner rather than later, that base they pander to is going to die off, and young people in general are NOT rushing to replace them…

11 Likes

14 Likes

I get that the Republicans are trying to turn “entitlements” into a dirty word, but in this case the term is accurate an appropriate. People who’ve paid into the Social Security system are absolutely entitled to receive these benefits, wouldn’t you agree?

Besides, it’s not just politicians that use the word. It’s a technical term used by the GAO among other government agencies.

The Oxford English Dictionary also has the following definition:

Social Security is a government program that does just that, is it not? The SSA website quite explicitly calls it an entitlement program:

9 Likes

wouldn’t the tax implications be quite different? iras and 401ks are granted special rules there. ( there probably are some iras that are bond heavy, but not entirely sure. ) and that’s still a step removed and not matched the way it is for 401ks

the are some states that have their own retirement funds open to the general public. matching and control over what they invest in are still issues though

5 Likes

One of the most successful marketing campaigns in Republican history. They’ve got progressives on the defense trying to argue “Social Security isn’t an entitlement!!!” instead of “what the heck is wrong with an entitlement?”

14 Likes

real housewives nene GIF

10 Likes

Different companies have different options for 401k investments, but mine absolutely does offer funds that are made up entirely of government bonds, and will match investment there like any of the other fund options. And if you don’t have a 401k you can still do an IRA made up entirely of T-bills if you want to.

By the way, whether it’s part of a retirement account or not, the interest earned from Treasury Bills is exempt from State Taxes, so there’s that.

7 Likes