Nikki Haley caught in whopper of a lie on stage

Originally published at: Nikki Haley caught in whopper of a lie on stage - Boing Boing

3 Likes

tenor

11 Likes

Maybe I’m particularly dense today…
The Bloomberg quote makes little sense to me. I guess we’re looking at the last sentence as a statement that the retirement age should be raised. But then, we’re saying that since life expectancy is declining, that last statement actually means the retirement age should be lowered. But maybe we don’t think that she thought that that’s what we’d think she meant.

Either way, I’m underwhelmed by this bust.

6 Likes

younger generations, like her children, should retire earlier than older folks

Umm … later, surely?

2 Likes

Her premise is that people should have to retire later, because people live longer than they used to. But the sad reality is that life expectancy in the U.S. has been dropping in recent years, so @frauenfelder is pointing out that by her logic younger generations should actually be allowed to retire earlier.

16 Likes

I’m not politically genned-up on the whole retirement-age debate.

Judging by the picture though, I can state with some authority that she’s shit at hitchhiking.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I posit that she simply can’t grasp the consequences of her policy positions. In fact, that explains a lot of the GOP.

7 Likes

Tax the rich… so what if they can’t afford that third home.

10 Likes

Cause: Lead poisoning

2 Likes

Just remember, when it’s time for today’s two-minute hate, that we’ve always been at war with EastAsia, and we’ve never been at war with Eurasia.

5 Likes

“Stop putting my words in my mouth!”

3 Likes

The doublespeak is strong with this one.

2 Likes

She seems to be the least ludicrous of all the R bag o mixed nuts. I mean I do love Chris Christie just jousting at that flaccid orange windmill over and over, but they gave themselves to Trump and now he owns the party.

Not like I would ever VOTE for ‘Niki’
heavens no!

1 Like

Nikki Haley is telling the truth: she ‘never once said it’ - by that she means she’s said it more than once, or probably many times.

3 Likes

… um, it was the pandemic mostly

We don’t really know if it’s come back up yet

3 Likes

I think it might have been dropping before the pandemic even, tho it did speed things up.

Fortunately the rate of lead poisoning IS down. Just not as down as it should be. And many comparable countries are doing better, and did so earlier. But definitely better late than never.

Except that life expectancy at birth is still ~76, and life expectancy at 65 is still ~82, so even on its own terms, the idea that social security eligibility should be based on life expectancy life it was originally would imply it should be a decade later than it currently is.

I’m talking about people getting shot, not licking old paint.

3 Likes

Ooooooh

Yeah that’s a bugger. Haven’t solved that one yet!

Would be an incredibly morbid paper - exploring the relative morbidity and mortality burdens of these different sources of uh… “Lead exposure”

As an aside, worldwide environmental lead exposure is mostly not from paint. Car battery disposal and air pollution. Goooood times.