Nikki Haley's first big proposal? Raise the retirement age and cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for "the new generation"

Originally published at: Nikki Haley's first big proposal? Raise the retirement age and cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for "the new generation" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

They keep pushing for that shit, and they’re going to lose some part of their base… :woman_shrugging:

37 Likes

This is the same Nikki Haley who said older politicians need to take a competency test to keep their jobs, but is now saying older people shouldn’t be able to retire too soon? Just keep throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks I guess.

35 Likes

I know that you’ve got reactionary old people to pander to; but did you have to be quite so blunt about being on board with the “boomers pulling the ladder up behind them” agenda?

34 Likes

The whole idea with Republicans is that older generations eat the younger generations. They won’t let those damn kids have better, more prosperous lives than they enjoy. Get off my lawn!

22 Likes

It’s already currently 67, which is an age I can’t make with my health issues.

19 Likes

Her plan works perfectly, unless people who are now young somehow become older people.

29 Likes

Or we could tax the wealthy and maybe don’t funnel that money into yet another bomber. Crazy, I know.

39 Likes

Cut the budget for the military by a small percentage and somehow magically we got money. But that would be crazy, who would do that?

30 Likes

I’m sure her plans for the FDA, EPA, OSHA, and NLRB will help address that potential problem.

16 Likes

16 of the greatest reaction GIFs of all time, ranked - Vox

21 Likes

She’s already toast with everything she’s proposing. I doubt she gets out of the Republican primaries, and Biden and dems are already pounding on their attacks on Social Security and Medicare. No older voter is going to hear “well, we’ll just tinker with it for young people.” This has been and remains the third rail of conservative politics, and I’m thrilled to watch them step on it again, the assholes.

27 Likes

She’s not a Boomer, though. She’s proposing to take benefits from her own generation and from her children.

15 Likes

She’s rich and her kids and grandkids will be trust fund babies. Her attitude is “Fuck everyone who does the actual work of keeping society from descending into chaos.”

37 Likes

What next? Throw elders on tar pit like in Dinosaurs?

7 Likes

She’s running for vice president

13 Likes

“You reform the entitlements, but you do it in a way that you don’t take anything away from seniors or people who are getting ready to retire. You focus on the new generation, you focus on what’s next,”

Translation, “The Boomers are okay; but fuck the Millennials.”

Welcome aboard, Comrade @aaaaadam

But not from her, and to Haley, that’s probably the important bit.

13 Likes

Let people put more money into social security. If I could invest more in social security rather than a 401 that enables the worst of Wall st., that would be great. It would also solve the manufactured social security short fall that keeps getting used as an excuse to cut working government programs

21 Likes

The keep pushing it while at the same time arguing they aren’t pushing it and are acting like it’s some sort of slander against the GOP.

12 Likes

This is a great plan, if her goal is to get more young people to vote.

20 Likes