Nikki Haley's first big proposal? Raise the retirement age and cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for "the new generation"

More like

GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

I’ve had food poisoning, and it’s one of the very few things I wouldn’t wish on anyone that isn’t already on my KOS list. (Kill On Sight)

I fully expect to keep working until I keel over at my desk, and then my estate will get charged disposal and cleanup fees. (good luck collecting on that one, BTW.)

7 Likes

Here here! At this point plenty of us millennials have put 15+ years into paying social security. Let’s not let the generational mythos gaslight us to obscure that.

Just because the people who want to fuck you over tell you they’re going to fuck you over from the day you’re born doesn’t mean you should just lay down and take it.

11 Likes

An awful lot of white middle-class folks are now experiencing what minorities have been experiencing for, well, forever: the sharp edge of a cost-cutting ‘plan’ that eviscerates their plans for a happy future.

9 Likes

Nah, just eat the rich.

1 Like

There’s a song about that:

Kids!
I don’t know what’s wrong with these kids today!
Kids!
Who can understand anything they say?
Kids!
They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs!
Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers!
While we’re on the subject:
Kids!
You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
Kids!
But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can’t they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What’s the matter with kids today?
Kids!
I’ve tried to raise him the best I could
Kids! Kids!
Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons!
And while we’re on the subject!
Kids! They are just impossible to control!
Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an’ roll!
Why can’t they dance like we did
What’s wrong with Sammy Caine?
What’s the matter with kids today!

(Kids, from the musical Bye Bye Birdie )

2 Likes

I demand that social security be eliminated for everyone except people who turn 60 this year! They’re not definitely Boomers, not definitely Gen X… just a great bunch of guys and I… I mean ‘we,’ I mean ‘they,’ deserve all the monies.

Keegan Michael Key Stop GIF by Playing With Fire

8 Likes

I was personally thinking of a small slash to the USA’s military budget of 50%. Now I realize that would place us at only slightly more spending than the next three most expensive militaries in the world put together, but I think we could still manage somehow, although it would obviously be tough. It might leave us vulnerable, somehow, with only $137 billion more in spending than second place China.

(These are 2022 numbers, of course.)

12 Likes

Sadly - apparently, the budget just released includes a budget increase for DoD, because of course…

But we could do so much if we just cut the DoD’s budget by even a few percentage points instead of just automatically increasing it each budget year…

Of course, we could also end up in a shooting war, if things keep going like they are…

10 Likes

Not just a little reminiscent of the Mafia’s raiding of the Teamster’s pension fund.

6 Likes

Of course it did.

(I will note that the budget treats the service members themselves almost as after thoughts. I personally knew people who’s family stateside were on food stamps because of basic separate rations during the first Gulf War. That was also a budget saving idea from those great respectors of the military, the GOP.)

Looking the budget we could just drop large sacks full of money on any potential enemy. It would be cheaper. Hell, if we used dollar coins for bullets and bags of them for bombs, we’d still save money.

15 Likes

Well, of course… you can’t win a war with humanism, after all! /s

Indeed! So much money just disappears inside the DoD… clearly no one learned anything from the second gulf war…

11 Likes

And budgeting significantly more than even the Pentagon asks for, like clockwork…

8 Likes

Absofuckinlutely! Us libruls over here in the U.K. who have a State pension and a National Health Service that we pay for out of our taxes and contributions taken from our pay packets from the day we start earning a wage are totally entitled to get what we’ve fucking paid for. Pretty damn sure that RepubliKKKans would fight like rats in a sack to stop any such rights and entitlements.
Our Government has been raising the age of entitlement for the State Pension for a while now, but if you’re fit enough and are of an age, like me, where I could have retired at 65, but have been able to keep working, then you can keep building your retirement pot. I’m being made redundant at the weekend, which is a shame; I’ve been working with a great bunch of people, doing a job I’ve thoroughly enjoyed, but I’m 69 in July, so now is a good time to stop. My monthly pension would have been about £800 a month, but I’m getting £930, and it’s being raised by 10% in April. I’ve also been saving into workplace pension funds for years, all I need is around another £1000/month to be getting my current monthly salary. Those additional pension contributions were made a requirement by the government about thirty years ago as well, so again, it would be interesting to know the GOP’s opinion of such largess on the part of a government.

8 Likes

This is precisely the issue. Those in congress are wealthy enough and in any case have absurdly generous pensions that they will never have to face the reality of retiring and having to worry about making ends meet. It’s great making policies that you know you and your donors will never be subjected to in any meaningful way.

5 Likes

Then there’s the occasional requests for donating sick-leave time, and selling of challenge coins and donated goods in order to raise cash for needy servicepeople at Edwards AFB. Not restricted to EAFB, I expect.

7 Likes

Is this woman / Nikki clueless?!….I’m 58 and I’ve worked a mentally AND physically stressful job for decades!!….Nikki leisurely talks / makes speeches and leisurely travels at HER job as she literally LIFTS NOTHING HEAVY OR DIRTIES HER HANDS as nurses like me physically kill our selves….so if now at 58, I’m not allowed to retire for full Social Security until I’m 68….then how hell can this idiot woman raise the Social Security age MORE for the next generation ?!….68 is already too old to retire from a dirty physical job!!….She’s crazy ~ Does she want the next generation to die from strokes and heart attacks by raising the Retirement age to 70 and above now?!….Clearly she’s a spoiled princess who never worked a hard physical job in her life! ~ NOT voting for this woman!! ~ Let HER pampered butt work to Age 75 and collapse from a heart attack!!….Those of us who worked at hard physical jobs for over 40 years deserve to retire by Age 65 if we physically NEED to!!

18 Likes

laurenhill-preach
preach-testify-women-church-xh2pc3ud4ob4uwx0

13 Likes

Yes. Yes she does. Then she’ll plunder what’s left of your non-Social Security retirement funds.

14 Likes