Nine Inch Nails' Quake soundtrack released on vinyl

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/nine-inch-nails-quake-soundt.html

3 Likes

i own a recent record by a friend of mine who is a rockabilly artist. it’s a 78 rpm single on shellac resin.

3 Likes

quark-but-why

3 Likes

he tells me that there is a surprisingly large market for “authentic” media among the rockabilly fans in south america. he’s shipped out 100s of them to fans in brazil, argentina, and chile. until this year he’s made two swings through south america a year since the mid 00s.

2 Likes

I mean… wouldn’t lots of early rockabilly be on vinyl, too? I realize the genre was big in the crossover period?

Hm. I wonder if adoption of vinyl lagged behind the US then? :thinking:

2 Likes

he also does a pretty good business in vinyl 45s in south america but it’s his european fans who order the bulk of those.

thinking about it, that may suggest the answer to your question–

is yes.

2 Likes

I recall all the hype around this soundtrack and what an utter disappointment it was.

When I was in highschool this game disc was in my discman all day and my pc all night.

Also the Wipeout/Wipeout XL discs from the PS.

5 Likes

It was different from usual NIN work, more dark ambient style, but I really liked it as a soundtrack, especially on a game as weird as first Quake.

5 Likes

It was one of the cooler ambient game soundtracks. I really enjoyed it. For me it’s right up there with the Rollcage, Red Alert, Elder Scrolls Online soundtracks as interesting original compositions. (Obviously I love all the songs on GTA:Vice City, but that doesn’t really count in this category)

2 Likes

I loved it, $5 for a hour of NIN doing ambient industrial, and a free game! That was the Quake shareware edition CDROM. If you wanted the other 3/4 of the game, you had to pay.

2 Likes

I remember buying the Quake shareware CD. In addition to the game, and all the audio tracks, it also had a sort of built-in mini store. The idea was that you could call the phone number and pay to get a code to unlock all the games from the existing iD library: Doom, Hexen, all that stuff.

I remember, picking up that disc in some mall Electronics Boutique, and thinking: someone’s going to crack this.

They did. It was awesome.

Quake’s soundtrack was good, but the PSX version of Descent (with redbook audio) is still one of my favorite games of all time, largely due to how well the soundtrack meshed with the gameplay.

My fave track is #9, “Venus Nickel-Iron Mine”, also one of the coolest levels to play in the entire game =).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.