Nissan releases all-electric camper van model

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/13/nissan-releases-all-electric-c.html

6 Likes

Is there built-in solar sufficient to recharge it if you park in the sun for a week or two? That’d be perfect.

8 Likes

Looks like they’ve beaten VW to the punch. VW isn’t expected to release their new camper van until 2020 - 22.

4 Likes

“No word on pricing yet.”

Yeah. Love seeing that at the end of an excited, rambling article. To my jaded self, no pricing yet means “it’s going to be a lot.”

3 Likes

you could have some fun, low carbon adventures in it.

Roger That!

3 Likes

That and, “We haven’t worked out the supply-chain and manufacturing logistics yet.”

7 Likes

Methinks someone over at Nissan corporate knows something we don’t about whether this whole “no one can afford to live in a house, and are all forced to live in their cars” thing is going to be sorted out anytime soon…

8 Likes

I could see a lot of those lined up along the beach at Newquay waiting for their surf-dude owners to return.

1 Like

Serious question: can you tow a small trailer or boat behind something like this? How does that affect battery life?

Interested in going down the hybrid or full electric path here soon but I need a vehicle that can tow upwards of 1500 lbs on the highway.

Suggestions?

1 Like

Of course, this is “as the crow flies” and your mileage will vary, but holy cow.

Pitch to Nissan guerrilla marketing squad: Fly me there, give me a van and tickets, and I’ll take it to every football stadium on the island. No, no, don’t worry, we can use a fake name for me rather than “Sludge.” We’ll also need a van for Weisberger on the other island so he can take us to the Jameson distillery. Can it accommodate a little dog named Nemo?

LAX:

OAK:

Gary & O’Hare

You get the idea:

5 Likes

“We know you want the thing, and we think we can make the thing, but the current process right now dictates a price tag that will make you NOT want the thing. Will get back to you with bait-n-switch pricing, please hold.”

2 Likes

Oy now! I’d like to see that little Nemo dog’s travel plans given their own van.

2 Likes

“The difference between America and England is that Americans think 100 years is a long time , while the English think 100 miles is a long way .” --Earle Hitchner

9 Likes

It’s a shame that most of the nicest state or national campgrounds in the radius around LA don’t have power at the sites. Yes, private RV parks do but who wants to take a fun retro VW-style camper van to one of those?

5 Likes

There may be some difficulties in my neighbourhood…

It’d get you about halfway from Alice Springs to Uluru.

9 Likes

Full electric can tow a lot (huge torque), search youtube for videos of the model x towing a jet plane.

However if the frame isn’t designed for it you can bend it, and if the breaks aren’t designed for it you can have a hard time stopping.

…and yeah, it’ll eat a ton of power.

2 Likes

Or a little diesel generator and a few jerry cans. Sure, it’s not solar, but it’s portable and quicker. Consider it an offline-hybrid.

1 Like

Spain. Darn. I’m starting to look for possible retirement dwellings.

1 Like

RTG.
Half the trip will look like you’re on Mars anyway.

1 Like

Um… Yeah.

124 miles one way is a day-trip, not an overnighter.

(Australians, Russians and Canadians are about the only people with a grasp on just how huge geography can be. Especially when it comes to lonely roads and empty spaces. I dare you to take that thing on a road-trip in Saskatchewan).

1 Like