Nkechi Diallo, formerly Rachel Dolezal, charged with welfare fraud

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/25/rachel-dolezal-charged-with-we.html

2 Likes

See leftists, welfare fraud does happen.

Too bad this example is by a white person. oops

12 Likes

See, we told ya so; there are more White folks on welfare than Blacks.

Rim%20shot

26 Likes

Nkechi Diallo

I see she’s fessed up to the fraudulence of her racial cosplay by adopting like, the whitest name ever. /s

16 Likes

So, is she just horrible? Or legit mentally ill?

7 Likes

“The scam artist formerly known as Rachel Dolezal”

7 Likes

Just by a numbers game, most welfare fraud is by white people, most likely.

9 Likes

(I realise that none of these are specifically from the US, but the trend is the same everywhere)

27 Likes

I think the US version would involve substantially fewer benefits and a heck of a lot more uncollected taxes. I mean, rich dude and Trump-enabler Robert Mercer alone owes something like $7 billion in back taxes.

14 Likes

Dobrosława Wiśniewska

3 Likes

I had been happy with this being the last story I ever read about Rachel Dolezal:

Dang it.

11 Likes

A pale name indeed.

1 Like

Mentally ill. From interviews and analysis I’ve read, she seems to have some serious PTSD, and has protected herself with many layers of delusion. As such, everyone hating on her reveals how little humanity is out there. give it a rest.

And who hasn’t ever defrauded the govm’nt teat… even just a little. Ever lie a little on your taxes…? hmm?

4 Likes

Shouldn’t “her biological parents were white” just say “she is white”?

My favourite comment on this:

5 Likes

That’s an insult to people with PTSD. PTSD doesn’t compel you to defraud and use people, and that’s not protecting yourself. Remote armchair psychoanalysis needs to stop, especially by people who aren’t trained medical professionals. Moreover, the evidence points to her claims of abuse by her white parents (including her father who she falsely claimed was her stepfather) for being “black” as being part of her cultural appropriation scam.

She’s apparently used several aliases to escape the consequences of her scams.

20 Likes

You make great points. When people like this are in the news, others get caught up in trying to figure out the reasons behind their actions. Labeling someone with a medical condition should not be used as a way to excuse their behavior.

I’m looking forward to seeing more scam artists tried in courts of law, instead of the court of public opinion.

13 Likes

It’s especially frustrating for those of us who have dealt or do deal with mental disabilities and don’t go around screwing over other people. It’s all but suggesting we’re all criminals. Getting thrown under the bus of other people’s reckless uninformed speculations gets real old.

28 Likes

I hear you. Part of me hopes this woman gets a court-ordered evaluation (to rule out any disorders) before being sentenced to jail, where she’ll revert, recant, and reclaim her true identity.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting the before and after pictures. I hadn’t the stomach to follow this story when it originally broke, but at least assumed that she really kind of looked like how she appeared, and was not completely costumed up for her role as a black woman.

I agree with the “crazy is no excuse” position. I view mental health as a spectrum: everyone is somewhere on it and not usually near the ends of the bell curve. But most people’s craziness does not involved this level of manipulating everyone around her. And most of those that do don’t need to wear a costume to do it. She’s a work of art all right!

1 Like