No charges in police shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin, prosecutor says

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/no-charges-in-police-shooting-of-jacob-blake-in-wisconsin-prosecutor-says.html

3 Likes

2021 off to a predictable start.

20 Likes

Could Biden’s Justice Department go after the asshole for civil rights violations? (Assuming they have the guts to do so…)

13 Likes

13 Likes

How about instead of a presumption that officers rightly feared for their lives and were justified in shooting someone, we assume that said shot individual had a right to life, liberty, etc… and make the officers prove that the shooting was justified.

Seeing how someone’s constitutional rights have been grossly violated, it seems a little weird that the default is to side with the violator rather than the victim.

22 Likes

Chop, chop, chop…

15 Likes

I hate that one of my first thoughts was, “Thank goodness they waited until most of the Georgia votes had already been cast to announce this.”

The way these murders (or attempted murders) devalue life has ripples far beyond what is obvious.

2 Likes

A friend in Kenosha has reported seeing an armed military or paramilitary presence downtown. Lots of big guns. They were on the street and then apparently moved to the basement of the courthouse. Dressed in civvies.

6 Likes

Institutionalized racism – same as it ever was

1 Like

Why capitalize “Black,” but not “white?” Seems like a weird style guide thing. Either all, or none.

Yep. They started showing up this morning, “deploying” in the downtown area. We don’t have a curfew tonight, but I suspect the police will insist on one tomorrow, if only to show us peons in Kenosha that we better know our place. I also find it interesting that the city council voted on Monday to increase the fines for “inciting a riot” by x10. It’s almost like they had information about the foregone conclusion or something.

Reading through the released DA report leaves me with a lot of questions, but I’m sure we can trust the police to investigate themselves and turn over a complete and accurate report on the events.

5 Likes

3 Likes

And saw an opportunity to make some quick cash.

5 Likes

I hope that you and all the good people of Kenosha will be safe over the next few days.

4 Likes

THAT’S your take-away? Holy shit.

4 Likes

One takeaway, yes. Others had already expressed things that I was actually outraged about, rather than just curious.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.