No girl wins: three ways women unlearn their love of video games

~rolleyes~

You only support a whitewashed view of gender relations.

9 Likes

“Anti-GG” is a term predominantly used by gators for their perceived enemies, and is often ridiculed by those who it might reasonably be attached to. Anyone “self professing” that identity without irony is–perhaps!–not on the level.

6 Likes

I find prefix “anti” to be a reasonable way to express a reference to anyone who opposes a specific thing (though admittedly english is not my native language)

Apparently if you’re looking at the “Replies” pull-down under a parent comment, and highlight part of a message and hit “Quote Reply”, the quote is attributed to the parent commenter rather than the actual commenter. Corrected.

Feminists are not going to profess their worldview as “anti-gg” as it legitimizes those cretins.

3 Likes

By the law of averages, every fandom ever is going to have a few deeply horrible people in it. With fandoms that it’s cool to hate, though, folks go looking for those outliers and talk them up and signal-boost them all over the place while downplaying the majority of the fandom. When you say “Bronies have deserved their hatred pretty strongly,” you are, at best, naively and uncritically repeating a malicious falsehood.

As for your request, the burden of proof is on the accuser. You’re the one who claimed that anyone who likes a particular cartoon is probably a pedophile or something. Prove it. I’m not gonna do your homework for you.

1 Like

There is a pretty core group I think of in those terms though, like who hang out on Gamerghazi, whine that allies don’t get enough respect, do things that blatantly put people in harms way while arguing they’re fighting for them, and don’t really give a damn about actually supporting women in the industry.

When I was posting about GG on tumblr (before I got wise and realized how much of a dolt I was being by even engaging) I had to block more people who were claiming to be on “my side” but had their head up their ass than I did the GGers.

2 Likes

self-identified feminists exist within that movement, and there isn’t a way to expel them from being feminists :frowning:

Also, I find this whole argument about verbal shibboleths more than a little bit bizarre (shibboleths in general are weird and belong to a more, shall I say, mystical discourse :wink: )

2 Likes

New word found. Googled.

Faith in humanity -10
Sanity -10

I’ll go shoot some abstract polygonal representations, if nobody minds

5 Likes

Welp, seeing as you’re outright, blatantly, no holds back lying, I don’t see a need to actually engage with proof because I knew you were going to shift the goalposts ahead of time like a dishonest little twit. I was willing to provide proof, but only if you specified what you’d accept AS proof - apparently, there’s no actual level of proof you’re willing to accept, but you ARE willing to outright lie to defend a group of vile misogynists.

I never said anyone who liked a cartoon was a pedophile. I said that bronies, a group that you have to self-identify as (not everyone who watches the show is a brony), and who congregate with brony forums and websites and the like, are really all over racism and sexism and rape jokes.

2 Likes

This I understand. I differentiate based on sincerity. It’s easy to “no true Scotsman” feminists, but you don’t oppose GG by aping their tactics and being exactly “anti”.

How does threatening anyone benefit women, exactly?

Right, my mistake. You didn’t say that anyone who likes a particular cartoon is a probably a pedophile, you just said that anyone who publicly discusses liking a particular cartoon probably embraces and enables pedophiles.

2 Likes

Any movement without a “central committee” has issues with “no true Scotsman”

I don’t know how sincere (or non-sincere) some people are in their claims (especially online, but it’s not like I’m a line of sight telepath during physical interaction)

I think admitting that feminism is pretty damn diverse and includes people I (you, we, etc) are bound to partially or almost-fully disagree with would be more productive than declaring feminists who support unlikable movements/ideas/etc. “un-feminist”

The hell I know.

I’ve had people write me that I’d change my opinion on an article and would generally be a “better person” if I got raped.

I have not a shred of an idea what kind of stuff goes on in the head of anyone claiming “feminism” and PMing shit like that (might be a rather dumb trolley, but honestly, at this point anything might be some kind of driving trollies :confused: )

2 Likes

Sometimes I feel like I grew up in some weird paradise, because while it was poor, highly racist, and in many ways highly sexist, there was a pretty even mix of boys and girls in shop class.

1 Like

I don’t know, and I was wondering that when reading about a female gaming journalist who sided with Gamergate, only to get hersef, her family, and her friends doxxed, death threats, rape threats, you name it. And I thought to myself: wait a minute, if one of the shitty things about Gamergate was the rape and death threats against women, why on Earth would you fight against Gamergate by issuing rape and death threats against women?

Somewhat interestingly to me (if for no other reason than as a reminder that none of us are perfect, so stop being douchenozzles every time someone does something imperfect), she was prompted to do so because of something an Offworld regular contributor had written, a description of gamers that, to her, read like a description of autism, and it resonated with her because she has an autistic daughter.

3 Likes

Honestly, these creeps are low enough to dox one of their own and blame it on “anti-GG”

That said, doxing represents your average GG tactics, whereas it would not be championed among people not in that group of MRAs and pro-mra “feminists”.

1 Like

and pro-mra “feminists”

Why the scare quotes on “feminists”, anyway? Are there No True Feminists who care about the rights of men as well as women?

1 Like

MRA’s don’t “care about the rights of men”. They care about the privilege of men being able to hurt and harm women. It’s up to you if you think being able to rape women is your RIGHT as a man, because that’s LITERALLY what MRAs have argued for. Mind you, I’m not for policing the term of “feminist”, but let’s not act like “MRA” means “Caring about men”. It means “hating women”.

9 Likes

I think it’s part of “strike up/strike down” reasoning, where the problem arises not when you’re HARMING PEOPLE, but when you’re harming unapproved type of people (with “undesirables” being fair game)

1 Like

Now, let’s say I stated that feminists have argued for the genocide of men. Or, let’s say that I say that feminism is transphobic by nature. And by some measures, that could be true. Does that mean that that’s what feminism stands for?

Because really, I’m sliding dangerously into a territory that’ll get a person banned from the BB BBS. But that’s sad, because I can say the exact same thing you just said, about feminism, and I’m sure you can see in a nanosecond that it’s bullshit. No, there really are people who are into the MRA movement that care about issues like circumcision, the Women Are Wonderful effect and the nurturing-mother gender role having an effect on lawmaking, and so on. There really are people out there who aren’t content to wait for feminism to fix gender roles, and want to fix the inequities, from a male perspective. And why? Because honestly, take an issue like having the cops called if you’re a guy, taking your daughter to the park, which you can do because you’re smashing those gender roles and you’re staying home with your kid instead of it being your wife by societal default. You know what? You’re more likely to get an earful about how dangerous men are than you are to get a shred of sympathy. And feminists are baffled at why guys aren’t content to just sit down and shut up while the women fix the gender issues…

And that makes them bad apparently. Don’t let the virulent idiots fool you. Paul Elam is to Men’s Rights what Andrea Dworkin is to feminism.

Having said that, I only identified with them for a short time, because man there are a lot of whiners in the MRA movement.

2 Likes