'No joke, we just found a live owl roosting in our Christmas tree'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/20/no-joke-we-just-found-a-liv.html

8 Likes

Uh… something, something pixels.

16 Likes

The picture in the AP story looks more believable, I think:

17 Likes

Cool! I’m surprised the owl didn’t freak out. We once had a black swallowtail butterfly in a tree. We took a picture of our then 3-year-old daughter with it. We kept it alive for several months by giving it sugar water, a suggestion by the UW Extension, hoping to release it when it got warm. But its wings were tattered. But I’m glad the owl it going to be okay.

12 Likes

Fools, they could have solved their rodent problem.

Of course then they’d have a birdshit problem, but small price to pay.

13 Likes

It’s easier to get bats to leave, so long as you have a dark path to the outside. (Remember to turn off the outside door light.)

8 Likes

Congratulations! You’re going to Hogwarts!

27 Likes

Looks purty shooped to me.

10 Likes

In all seriousness, owls are amazing in that regard for sure.
We live in the city and the roof rats around here were getting out of control for a while. Three different neighbors installed owl boxes in trees in the area. I haven’t seen a rat on an overhead wire in over a year and no evidence of them around the house or eating our fruit/vegetables. I hear the owls often at night. One of our other neighbors captured some cool photos of great horned owls roosting in his trees before sundown. Then off they went to get dinner.

19 Likes

Take that, baby Yoda.

Well, also amazing in the shit department.

1 Like

About ten years ago, my aunt found/heard one in the middle of the night. :bat: Too bad she didn’t know this. I think my uncle stopped her before she called 911. That made me look more closely between the branches every year when picking out a tree.

4 Likes

15 Likes

It’s too bad the poor thing needed food. They could have left it, and Christmas evening, it would be like this:

13 Likes

Of course that kind of goes both ways:

5 Likes

If anything like this happened to me, I’d have to find a new place to live! :scream:

1 Like

Clearly looking for the Furby Organ:

7 Likes

“No joke, we just found a live owl roosting in our Christmas tree.”

Owl: “No joke, you cut down my house.”

22 Likes

You know, I woke up today thinking, today’s a day I need a little something special. Something extra.

Circuit-bending Furby orchestra was IT!

3 Likes

I’m just imagining the ride home on the car roof, stuck in the branches, 60 mph. Probably ran it through one of those tree-wrapping machines, too.
I wonder, had they found a dead owl, would they have just slapped some shallac on it and added it to the collection?
Have those kids even LOOKED closely at the other decorative owls???

2 Likes

I mostly blame myself and my own curiosity, but I cannot forgive you for leaving that link there for me to just click on.

1 Like