No one is surprised the US Navy did not let Tom Cruise fly a F/A-18 regardless of Bruckheimer's assurances of competency

Even assuming this was true, why should the U.S. government let him? Every single time one of those things takes off it represents some risk to both life and property on the scale of scores of millions of dollars. It’s not a fucking toy.

As Maverick’s commanding officer once noted while chewing him out in the first movie: ”You don’t own that plane, the taxpayers do!”

Harrison Ford has a pilot’s license too but they didn’t let him fly the real Air Force One.

11 Likes

And they recently came quite close to not letting him fly his own planes.

7 Likes

Bruce Dickinson has a commercial pilot license and worked for a small airline for some time.

But an airliner has 3 people in the cockpit, all with licenses. It also never has to land on a small pitching warship going too fast to effectively stop under its own power.

3 Likes

THE Bruce Dickinson?

4 Likes

Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson.

Vocals, not cowbells

ETA: no spel gud

8 Likes

Just Asking Pulp Fiction GIF

6 Likes

It’s barely plausible that fiftysomething “Maverick” could still be flying at the beginning of this movie, but he should probably be out by the end

4 Likes

There are a bunch in private hands now. One US company now owns 46 of them!

Maybe they should have talked to them instead of the navy.

3 Likes

And let’s put aside our rose-colored glasses regarding the original, as well. I watched it again fairly recently, and all could think was “what was I thinking in '86?!” Apart from a handful of undeniably great flying sequences (the source of 17-year-old-me’s enthusiasm for the flick), the movie is a SLOG.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I just re watched it a couple weeks ago and I disagree - it’s not too long, there’s not much filler, and it tells a (relatively) coherent story from start to finish. It’s not a great movie by any stretch but it does what it set out to do.

I’d also be remiss if I didn’t link to this great article that nitpicks through dozens of little inaccuracies in the film:

(Including “why is everybody sweating so much?”)

5 Likes

My love for it is still strong, but has moved laterally from “These guys are my heroes!” on to “This is the best live-action 80s anime remake a studio could ever make.”

3 Likes

Why rent when Uncle Sam is letting you film them for free and throwing in some nice aircraft carriers as well?

1 Like

tom cruise wink GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

4 Likes

How weird, neither of the tracks that spang to my mind were actually from Maiden.

Ah, this is more appropriate; though maybe not what you want to hear when boarding a flight.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.