No one is surprised the US Navy did not let Tom Cruise fly a F/A-18 regardless of Bruckheimer's assurances of competency

Originally published at: No one is surprised the US Navy did not let Tom Cruise fly a F/A-18 regardless of Bruckheimer's assurances of competency | Boing Boing

4 Likes

In the original Top Gun, they put actors in the backseats of F-14’s. None of the footage was usable due to actors vomiting and dealing with dealing with real life G-forces.

So of course they don’t want to be cleaning up Cruise barf off their nice F/A-18 seats.

15 Likes

Bruckheimer being an expert in military aircraft, you know. /s

11 Likes

Just sign this waiver and put up a $100million damage deposit. Will you be using your card’s insurance?

12 Likes

Bruckheimer can be all about supporting Tom’s ego while letting the darn government be the one to tell Tom no.

10 Likes

He’s a pilot with a hell of a lot of hours in tricky airplanes (the P-51 can kill you dead in a hurry), but this seems a wise decision by the Navy. I don’t recall if it was here somewhere on the Reddits, but someone said they were themselves a pilot and was at some party with Tom Cruise and so went to talk him about his P-51. Apparently Tom Cruise talked about it so enthusiastically and so long that eventually this guy excused himself from the conversation.

13 Likes

A joke:

Do you know how to tell you’re talking to a pilot? They’ll tell you.

27 Likes

It’s the unfortunate consequence to have a deep and singular passion that no one else cares about.

8 Likes

Aw, c’mon, Navy! He’s a 7th Level Thetan! They can pick shit like this up in seconds!

13 Likes

My Son was in LA for business and was invited to an early screening. His review was it was sad when people got up and left, plus the time line is a blaring idiotic. Hard pass.

9 Likes

Looks like the production rental houses need to get on the ball and acquire an F/A-18 on the double. /s

6 Likes

I feel that the best Top Gun film yet was “Hot Shots”. The plot alone made more sense than Top Gun.

16 Likes

Cantstandya’s wife!

4 Likes

Given how much the Top Gun movies work as military propaganda, I’m kind of surprised. I guess the potential bad PR of Tom Cruise flying an FA-18 into the ground was a powerful disincentive…

6 Likes

Heard on The Tonight Show many years ago: Burt Reynolds talking about a celebrity waiting to be brought on the show that night: “He’s great guy. I know because he told me.”

8 Likes

Makes sense, he’s no Gary Numan

3 Likes

There is behind the scenes footage available (released by the studio!) for this new film that shows actors doing exactly that in their training prep for shooting the new movie.

3 Likes

High-G Cruise-n-Barf!

2 Likes

Tom Cruise could absolutely fly one of those just fine. It is kinda a disappointment. Say what you will of the dude, he is still good at that stuff.

1 Like

I’d like to see him run through a full sequence of preflight checks, complete startup of all avionics, engine start, takeoff, landing, IFR etc. Anyone can wiggle the HOTAS once they’re at altitude and call it flying.

9 Likes