Will 'Top Gun: Maverick' be used to test new surround systems?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/19/will-top-gun-maverick-be.html

3 Likes

Does Tom Cruise really need another vanity project?

12 Likes

Does anyone have any idea what the movie is about? I couldn’t tell from the trailer. It looks like a bunch of random clips stuck together.

5 Likes

I think there’s a reasonable argument to be made that if not for the cultural impact of Top Gun the DoD wouldn’t have been able to secure the $1.5 Trillion for the JSF/F-35 program at a time when manned fighter jets were becoming less relevant than ever.

12 Likes

Like, because there won’t be any paying customers in the theater?

10 Likes

OohBurn|nullxnull

10 Likes

Name me a Tom Cruise effort that wasn’t a vanity project. I’ll wait.

(I won’t wait :wink:)

16 Likes

I would love if this movie was actually about the graft and incompetence at the heart of the US Navy and other armed forces… I also find it extremely entertaining that the f-18 is featured so prominently… A 40 year old aircraft design flown by a 50-something actor in a sequel to a film that came out 30 years ago. Just riding on fumes at this point…

13 Likes

That’s pretty ageist there, buddy. You’ll be saying the jingoistic attitudes are outdated next…

10 Likes
13 Likes

How can it accomplish its mission when it doesn’t even cost a billion dollars each?

We need newer, more expensive planes that will deliver important dollars to key congressional districts and campaign donors.

12 Likes

There wasn’t a very complicated plot to the original, and the trailer displayed pretty much the same major plot points. So…probably a “reboot” remake.

3 Likes

Just like the other one, it’s about two straight guys and their fascination with each others asses.

6 Likes

not to mention its gutless compared to the F14 from the original film, which they retired because the F18 was cheaper

6 Likes

So what was the favorite Val Kilmer film? Mine was easily Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

3 Likes

Its hard to choose between that, Real Genius and Tombstone.

4 Likes

Top Secret

know%20a%20little%20german

20 Likes

That bar in San Diego makes it plainly known that it’s the bar from Top Gun. I feel so bad for the female servers, who I presume have all suffered through “you’ve lost that loving feeling” more than once, and even once is one too many.

They should put a sign on the wall like “No Stairway.”

Not seeking it out, I found myself in there for lunch a few years ago. The food was not so bad.

6 Likes

Ponder this–Tom Cruise is roughly five years older than Tom Skerritt was in the original Top Gun.

Say what you will about him being a loon, but Edge of Tomorrow was one of the best science fiction movies of the last ten years.

13 Likes

Ahhm yer huckleberry.

2 Likes