No one wants to host the Olympics

Kind of voids the concept of the “nations coming together in one place in peace” pipedream, but whatev.

1 Like

I don’t think it was the infrastructure we’d have needed to build or the disruption of the event that doomed Boston’s bid, it was the luxury treatment that the IOC was expecting. That, after all the shenanigans about who was going to pay for what, was the last straw.

1 Like

So the fact that it was only one city even trying to secure each of these speaks to what exactly – the Olympics NOT being a giant scam and shit-show?

3 Likes

Getting rid of the parasitic aristocrats - in this case the various Olympic committees and their hangers on.

2 Likes

Then the summer games should be in Athens.

6 Likes

That’s probably the best choice. Historic location, Just need to upgrade the facilities that are already there, and the Greek economy could really use a boost from loads of extra tourists every four years.

5 Likes

As a runner, I would hate to have to compete in any of the major smog zones. LA, Beijing or Shanghai, Mexico City, etc. would make any outdoor endurance events miserable.

2 Likes

Nobody wants to host the IOC.

4 Likes

And the winter in… Iceland. Why not? It’s a television event anyhow, esp the Winters.

1 Like

All the runners will be together, and all the lifters, and the tossers too!

2 Likes

Probably should be in a locale with better air quality. I was going to say “city”, but until zero-emissions is a reality, smoggy urban areas are a non starter.

1 Like

Nope.
IMG_2586

3 Likes

The Greeks could use some cash these days. This year my family went on a tour of the ancient Olympiad, where they held the games every 4 years for about 1000 years. Why not do that? Go to the same site for a millenia or so, then reassess.

Instead of this travelling bankruptcy show of insanity, have the IOC pour some money into some really excellent facilities near the site of the old Olympiad. Have a constant rotation of games there - through the year, various events. Don’t force the Greeks to pay for it - they are broke. If all these countries are so serious about the games, set up a GDP linked ‘Olympic contribution’ to run and maintain the games.

Obviously there would need to be some geographic compromises made - sailing on the ocean etc. Find a similar spot in a more northerly location for the WInter games - and subsidize that as well.

The Ancient greeks competed nude as well, but that might break the internet and distract from the sport.

4 Likes

Judging at how much the Super Bowl sucked when it came to town, I am with you. Olympics coming to town? Time to move.

1 Like

Why buy a lottery ticket which, if you win, means you go bankrupt? The Olympics another failed elite-created institution that has been gamed to make money.

1 Like

Didn’t start that way. Originally it was 5 cities in the running for 2024. 2028 wasn’t even on the table until 3 of those cities dropped out of the running and they were just left with Paris and LA. So the IOC basically said “screw it, let’s give them both an Olympics so they walk away happy.”

If you want proof that the Olympics are a giant scram and a shit-show, look at what happened with 2022 when they were left with a giant douche and a turd sandwich as their only 2 options. Paris and LA are 2 very notable cities in Western countries. That the IOC was able to lock in both of them means there’s at least 2 countries that don’t think they’re a giant shit-show. Hard to blame cities and countries for being scared off after what happened in cities like Athens and Sochi and Rio. Maybe once they return to more responsible, less authoritarian governments, other cities might not think they’re such a shit-show.

Then the summer games should be in Athens.

That’s probably the best choice. Historic location, Just need to upgrade the facilities that are already there, and the Greek economy could really use a boost from loads of extra tourists every four years.

Not a smart idea. Did the 2004 Olympics provide a boost or leave them in ruins? Many of those facilities have fallen into disrepair. And there may be more tourists, but there are also billions in security costs. That’s part of what killed them the last time. They don’t need to be put through that again, let alone for the good of the IOC.

1 Like

Let’s not imagine France in the 1790s was a pleasant place to live. Nor that what came next was much of an improvement.

2 Likes

I might actually watch it if one of the sports were a cooking competition followed by an other that was an eating contest.

1 Like

I don’t think anywhere around there at the time would have been classed as a “nice place to live” except possibly a few Swiss cantons.
But the French have benefited in the long term from removing their aristocracy, while Britain has suffered from still being in thrall to it.

4 Likes