The Olympics are so unpopular in Japan that Toyota is pulling all its advertising

Originally published at: The Olympics are so unpopular in Japan that Toyota is pulling all its advertising | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I feel terrible for the people there that have to go through this.

But at least folks are starting to finally see that the IOC is a corrupt dumpster fire of an organization

28 Likes

I agree with Adam. We and Olympic sports would be better off without the IOC.

12 Likes

And in other Olympics news, an Irish gymnast demonstrates that reports of weak, sex-discouraging cardboard beds are fake news:

16 Likes

Well of course they didn’t put the anti sex cardboard bed in the gymnasts room. They put the anti sex cardboard light fixtures in there instead. /s

23 Likes

I’ve always thought that moving the Olympics to different countries that bid to host was wasteful (and obviously corrupt). I would prefer if there were some permanent venues in 4 or 5 different countries that the events cycled through, but that makes too much sense and the IOC wouldn’t be able to make backroom deals. Same with FIFA :unamused:

15 Likes

The very same Toyota that gives political cash to Nazis? I’m flabbergasted.

16 Likes

That’s not how you sex, son.

17 Likes

What! That’s how we do it!

15 Likes

Only 20% of Japanese are fully vaccinated

Well, there’s your problem. Is there something we can learn why Japanese people are not getting vaccinated to get more people vaccinated here in the US?

4 Likes

While screaming “fake news!”?

Figures.

ETA: That’s what she said.

9 Likes

You had to go there…

9 Likes

Still a few days left for the Japanese government to do the right thing and close this superspreader event down.

Other countries take note: this is what happens when you invite in the corrupt sleazeballs of the IOC.

12 Likes

Maybe, but it would appear part of the problem is more structural on the Japanese side, than on the US side.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/explainer-japan-slow-roll-vaccinations-77683342

For example, according to the article, Japan’s court system ruled that the government was responsible for any harm that came from vaccination, and so the government stopped promoting vaccination. It’s doesn’t say whether Japan has a Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund, but that would go a long way to indemnifying against rare adverse reactions. Also, only doctors and nurses are allowed to give shots, and dentists haven’t been called on for the roll-out. Vaccine approval has been slow, too, though test trials on Japanese citizens is a double edged sword – having seen medical imperialism firsthand, I don’t disagree with Japan wanting to determine on its own whether a vaccine is safe, and not just accept when other countries tell them it is safe.

There is also public mistrust of vaccines, which is in part based on misinformation, much the same as in the US.

I am reluctant to go into other possible cultural reasons for hesitancy, as I haven’t lived there for a while. Maybe someone currently living in Japan has some insight to share.

13 Likes

I think they see this as a point of no return, highly doubt they’ll cancel

6 Likes

I doubt it too. That would take real leadership skills, which seem to be severely lacking in the current government.

7 Likes

Governments are always adverse to being embarrassed, which cancelling would undoubtedly do. And they’re probably so following the sunk cost fallacy after spending so much time, effort, and money into it.

7 Likes

IMO, they should stop having host cities for the whole events. Have one or a handful of arenas for the specific sports. Swimming sports? Go here. Track and Field? Here. Gymnastics? Over there. Shooting sports? Over here. Volley ball? This place. Basketball? That place.

They already hold national and international competitions at various places that are set up for that specific sport/event. It honestly would allow a greater variety of sports, as there may be less popular sports that would now have “room” for people to go to and compete.

5 Likes

They should just tell the IOC to go fuck themselves and call it off.

7 Likes

My co-worker is headed to Japan this week as part of the technical broadcast crew. Past few weeks he’s been mapping things near the hotel like the nearest 7 Elevens, Wendy’s … and in all likelihood he’ll be forced to stay in the hotel, be very limited in his movements… sucks…

6 Likes