The Olympics are so unpopular in Japan that Toyota is pulling all its advertising

Hope that bed doesn’t get pregnant. He should practice safer sex!

7 Likes

I feel the same way. the Olympics have always been important to Canada and a great way for Canadians to show their stuff, and our Olympics have been well-received as a result - but not enough for me to push for their continued existence with the IOC the way it is and the utter disregard for host countries and their people. I too love the Olympics, but not the corruption and profiteering that has grown to accompany it.

That being said, just read the many, many, many laments from athletes that have feared that their one shot to participate has been in jeopardy because of the pandemic to see what effect it has on sport, too - people work for a decade or more sometimes for their shot, and if we declare the Olympics beyond saving, there needs to be something as important to replace it that pays respect and appreciation to the efforts thousands of thousands of athletes put into amateur sport.

7 Likes

That would be called every sport’s annual or biennial world championship. Depending on the discipline, they’ve been happening in every sport for at least 50 years now. Edited to use the correct term for ‘every two years’

3 Likes

Right - it would just be another championship under the Olympic name.

Trying to fit everything in one city seems inefficent at best. If they wanted to continue to do that, make it one city that would maintain it and have other sports teams they could use the facilities for.

3 Likes

That’s right, it certainly is! In fact, I’m doing it that way …

2 Likes

Or at least a rotation of 5 cities that have the facilities (LA, Paris, London, Moscow and Tokyo for example). Hold it in a smaller footprint over a month so that a freaking Global Alpha city doesn’t have to literally shut down so it can be the backdrop for a bunch of multinationals’ tv ads at the expense of that city’s taxpayers. Oh, and get the IOC to pay for their own god damned lavish festival.

6 Likes

They should build a permanent Olympic venue constructed on floating platforms in international waters. Or an Antarctic base. Maybe the moon. Somewhere with no specific national jurisdiction and possibly adjacent to a supervillain’s lair would be ideal.

3 Likes

I like their protest logo: The olympic crosses:

9 Likes

People are not vaccinated because they did not start offering jabs until April 10 (for people over 65) and now the country is running out of vaccines.

5 Likes

“The Olympics: it’s a movement! And everybody needs one, every day!” - Harry Shearer, Le Show

3 Likes

Cue the Bill Hicks “joke”.

2 Likes

I disagree. I see no value in those athletes putting a decade of effort into something as pointless as high level competitive sport. I’d prefer they find something useful to do that helps society.

I used to feel that way, too. And though I am not a big fan of the Olympics as they currently exist (a succubus that targets cities), I now find that I cannot begrudge people for following their dreams with all of their might.

Good on them for going for their dreams, regardless of whether it ultimately benefits humanity. Although I wish that the Nobel Prizes and Fields Medal got the same level of hype (if not more), I think it is great that people are living their best life in whatever form that may take.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Gotta disagree. All those amateur sports provide much value to society both as entertainment and as an expression of human potential. I’d rather have more gymnasts, runners, and swimmers than marketing professionals and hedge fund managers.

4 Likes

I think it’s useful to society. Humans do quite a few things that at face value have no immediate value to society yet they do have positive effects. You might not think that elite athletes have nothing worthwhile to contribute to society but tell that to people who are inspired or entertained by them, or the many professionals or businesses that are hired by them. Not to mention the life skills that they gain and take with them when they retire and take on new ventures.

2 Likes

A man from Dentsu was brought in to supervise the opening ceremony, and it went spectacularly well. /s

https://www.otaquest.com/the-2020-tokyo-olympic-creative-team-controversy-underlines-japans-pop-culture-failures/

To ice out a person with such an impressive track record, the creative side must have had someone with an even greater set of accomplishments on deck for the troubled event. Nope, they had Sasaki, who works at ad company Dentsu, and makes commercials where SMAP walk around. This perspective could have been a good quality to have (a great advertizer elevates an already compelling story) but this was about affirming who was in control, in this case a man from an old-school corporate powerhouse in Japan.

1 Like

Every time someone mentions Dentsu, I am reminded of the young woman who died by suicide in 2015 after being overworked and the ensuing revelations about their toxic work environment, so full of overwork and power harassment that they were actually prosecuted for it.

4 Likes

Sadly this is a serious problem with not just Japan but a lot of Asian countries. It’s one of the reasons why gamers had been very hostile to Konami’s attitude towards making games some years ago

The situation devolved into all out war between the company and its workers

To this day i will never ever play anything that comes from Konami, and on the US side i don’t touch any of EA’s games for the same reason.

3 Likes

The opening ceremony clusterfuck continues. The man from Dentsu was replaced by a comedian, who has now been sacked for joking about the Holocaust.

Thread:

Also:

2 Likes