These are already shaping up to be the best Olympics ever! /s

5 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

My condolencesā€¦

7 Likes

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

This headline was better (actually all the Betoota Advocate headlines are better):

4 Likes
3 Likes

Man watching incomprehensible load of lycra-clad bullshit pretty sure itā€™s the Olympics

4 Likes

And then there was this.

1 Like

This is probably an issue limited to my profession, and I do understand that they wear helmets in competition, but this picture used as a promo just makes my skin crawl. Letā€™s not make it harder to convince kids to wear helmets, please?

9 Likes

Nope, itā€™s not just you! Iā€™m no doctor, but this and the video of kids skating with no PPE after Tony Hawk (who did model proper attire!) had me cringing. Such an unnecessary risk, going without a helmet.

7 Likes
7 Likes

The one good thing about these Olympics is there isnā€™t as much complaining about the US trying to win by virtue of having the loudest crowds.

2 Likes

RthwdO0

5 Likes

Iā€™m glad sheā€™s taking care of herself, but also sad to miss her jaw dropping routines.

12 Likes

Turned on the Olympics this morning with the sole intention of watching her. Sorry she may miss some medal chances to add to her haul but sheā€™s still the greatest ever as far as Iā€™m concerned. She owes nobody anything in gymnastics, most of all herself.

I saw one of the young women today have a hairy moment on the bar and she seemed to have a look of real fear in her eyes as she steadied up for a backwards set to dismount from the other end. Itā€™s not really sustainable for them. I canā€™t understand that ability.

6 Likes

GOAT, for sure!

Iā€™m wondering how much of this stress is related to coming out of a year of pandemic lock downs to perform in empty stadiums.

5 Likes

The AMBER everyone!

Skateboarding has been the best part of this fiasco so far.

2 Likes

I canā€™t stand the US coverage of the Olympics (itā€™s very, very different than how Canada covers them), so I finally managed to get a VPN rigged up able to handle streaming down here to Austin from Canada. the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC, of which my cousin is involved in the production there!) has always had a link to all of the OBS (Olympic Broadcasting Service) feeds, even for the coverage they arenā€™t doing themselves. The OBs feeds are wonderous, since theyā€™re the same coverage that all the national broadcasts get of the actual events, but without cutaways to any national interviews, and with no commercials. The best part though seems to be the endless number of UK/Australian/NZ commentators that for whatever reason seem to be the only folks hired by OBS to commentate for those feeds. Iā€™ve been watching this way since at least back a few Olympiads and now I simply cannot watch certain sports without listening to super-excited commonwealth commentators doing their thing :smiley:

I highly recommend tracking down the OBS feeds if you can find them in your local country.

11 Likes