Olympics to allow Russian ice skater to compete despite positive drugs test

Originally published at: Olympics to allow Russian ice skater to compete despite positive drugs test | Boing Boing

6 Likes

so what the CSA is saying is go ahead and dope the minors because they can’t be held responsible for it?

that should end well

24 Likes

I don´t even watch the Olympics. I know that it is happening, but everything about it is disgusting me.

18 Likes

@beschizza she is a ice skater, not a gymnast.

17 Likes

Was there going to be any other outcome with an organisation notorious for its corruption and it’s kow-towing to dictatorial strongmen?

Just about the only good thing that this particular Olmpic Games is doing is helping to delay Putin from invading Ukraine, lest he ruin them for Xi (on whom it’s now clear he’s reliant).

12 Likes

Testing of the first sample was delayed beyond what the rules allows, leading to it being revealed during the Olympcs rather than before so Russia could have replaced Valieva in the team competition. The Swedish laboratory claims they were delayed because of COVID, the Russians cry foul. As far as I know the B-sample has not yet been tested, so we can’t even be completely sure it’s not a mistaken result. It’s a bit of a mess right now.

Imagine the outcry if Valieva were prevented from competing and then the B-sample came back clean.

5 Likes

I do remember something about Xi telling Putin to wait until after the Olympics to invade Ukraine. I can’t remember where I got that info and was never sure if it was true, but I suppose we’ll find out soon enough.

6 Likes

I have no doubt there are serious problems, but at the same time politics can go both ways. It would be naive to think that nefarious doings are only on one side, especially in a criminal organization like the Olympics. The stereotype of the doped Russian athlete would also be useful to people who have anti-Russian political leanings, or who simply want to remove competitors.

It’s a really incredible coincidence that the test from months ago finally came back just in time for her medal ceremony. I think, especially when it is a young person, it is probably wise not to assume guilt just because of where they are from and one sketchy test situation.

1 Like

We haven’t reached full dystopia until “kids on drugs” is actually the main draw, rather than a regrettable little side-effect that everyone would sooner not talk about.

The way the world is going, the top event in 2038 will be Chainsaw Ice Hockey featuring teams of meth-crazed adolescents, and billions will be tuning in to watch it.

4 Likes

Imagine a world where people can just enjoy sports without all of the money, child exploitation and corruption in the name of “national prestige.” It’s easy if you try…

8 Likes

He also apparently hopped to it when Xi told him to pull his troops out of Kazakhstan several weeks ago. That’s some macho man leader, some “world class” power.

Anyhow, closing ceremonies are on the 20th, which gives him a week or two afterwards (depending on the weather) to make his move and another few days of diplomatic stalling. For now he can brag to his supporters about the national pride that comes from getting the IOC to allow yet another doped up Russian athlete to compete.

4 Likes

She’s not a gymnast, she’s a figure skater.

2 Likes

In this case the suspected doping took place during the Russian Championship, so it’s not even national pride, more likely pride of the trainer who has a reputation for producing great skaters using any means possible. You can see the same in American football, I think, where players are abused for the glory of the local college.

Eastern part of Ukraine has already thawed BTW, so from a weather perspective it’s too late for an invasion.

The best part: if she wins a medal, the medal ceremony will be canceled so the Olympics doesn’t look bad

And that Russia still gets their medal

2 Likes

Nope. She can’t be awarded a medal until after her case is resolved. This is a provisional decision to let the games move forward. If the court finds against her then Russia gets nothing.

4 Likes

so, what’s the point of testing anyone?

3 Likes

Just more of the same corruption that the Olympics have decided is the name of the game. From kick backs and bribes from hosting cities, to ignoring doping laws to allow the “best” athletes to compete, to washing exploitation and worse under the rug, to banning “bad” athletes who once made the Olympics such a joy to watch, it’s all about big bucks, not about amateur athletes. After Atlanta, I lost any interest in this farce. It’s only gotten worse since.

3 Likes

Fast forward to the 2024 Olympics and all Russian athletes are minors :thinking:

3 Likes

Obligatory: Weekend Update: Kevin Nealon on the All-Drug Olympics - SNL - YouTube

I think the whole concept of the Olympics needs a massive overhaul to both survive and remain relevant. This includes moving to fixed venues, looking at testing policies, looking at how pro athletes compete etc etc.

Perhaps this latest Games will ring the wakeup bell.

4 Likes

The blatant corruption of the IOC published by the Norwegian press after Oslo withdrew its bid following unacceptable demands are still eye-opening:

• They demand to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Afterwards, there shall be a cocktail reception.
  • Drinks shall be paid for by the Royal Palace or the local organizing committee.
  • Separate lanes should be created on all roads where IOC members will travel, which are not to be used by regular people or public transportation.
  • A welcome greeting from the local Olympic boss and the hotel manager should be presented in IOC members’ rooms, along with fruit and cakes of the season. (Seasonal fruit in Oslo in February is a challenge…)
  • The hotel bar at their hotel should extend its hours “extra late” and the minibars must stock Coke products.
  • The IOC president shall be welcomed ceremoniously on the runway when he arrives.
  • The IOC members should have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport.
  • During the opening and closing ceremonies a fully stocked bar shall be available. During competition days, wine and beer will do at the stadium lounge.
  • IOC members shall be greeted with a smile when arriving at their hotel.
  • Meeting rooms shall be kept at exactly 20 degrees Celsius at all times.
  • The hot food offered in the lounges at venues should be replaced at regular intervals, as IOC members might “risk” having to eat several meals at the same lounge during the Olympics.
  • All furniture should be OL-shaped and have Olympic Appearance.

More at:

I believe a self-heating cup of tea is the preferred method by which the Russian state gets rid of inconvenient people these days.

8 Likes