Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

I’m watching the opening ceremony right now, and thought it might be fun to have a place to talk about this and everything around the games with the BB crowd.

14 Likes

The opening ceremony is almost always a big draw for me, but hearing the athletes were coming in on boats really hooked me this year. And that they have dancers and performers at several of the bridges along the path. So cool.
Watching Lady Gaga right now.

11 Likes

I’m only half watching (working with a child at home), but Gaga was incredible. I don’t know her enough to have immediately recognized her, but was very impressed.

8 Likes
12 Likes

Watching the parade of athletes I’m struck by what a different experience the olympics must be if you’re coming as one of only 3 athletes from your country versus one of 335 athletes.

13 Likes

OMG, okay, the zip line over to the still-under-repair Notre Dame cathedral was epic.

ETA - no more epic than the current epic musical metal scene. I think the whole ceremony is going to be a series of favorite scenes for me.

Oh, no. Going straight from the heavy metal with flames to the best aria from Carmen…I was meaning to half watch while also working, but that ain’t happening.

13 Likes

They really decided to focus on the Seine, huh?

7 Likes

Seine in the rain. That much is plain.

15 Likes

I wanna watch all the “weird” sports. Surfing, steeplechase, high-diving, rock climbing, kayak, BMX, and, I really can’t wait for this one…frickin’ break dancing!

11 Likes

Does skateboarding count as a “weird” sport?

8 Likes

Ugh. All the damn commercials. Even tho we went ahead and paid for a peacock subscription

8 Likes

Yeah, the commercials got to me, too (i also signed up for peacock special for this, I even sprung for the “no ads” version. Guess it doesn’t apply to live stuff?).
I haven’t checked back since I saw team USA during the opening ceremony.
I hope there aren’t as many commercials during the events.

7 Likes

You bet! My list was not exhaustive!

8 Likes

Does the early entry by the Canadian Drone Team count as a weird sport?

8 Likes

Say wut now? Guess I need to swap my feed for CBC? I’m in a weird place in the US where I can totally do that. :thinking:

4 Likes

It was an unofficial event. One suspended sentence from the local authorities; several staff sent packing.

No word from the largest peacetime deployment of security forces in French history on why the New Zealand team were the first ones to pick up on it, and that on its second outing.

9 Likes

I just tuned in to catch the Les Miserable thing and now some heavy metal stuff.

And commentators talking over it.

I wish they would scroll something telling me who everyone is.

And why is it all in some foreign language? What happened to America first?

I wish I would have tuned in sooner.

Our daughter is a Disney and Olympics wackadoodle, she knows everything that’s going on and keeps texting us.

And now people on poles, cool.

5 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

7 Likes

Is this year’s olympics the hip-hop olympics?

Also… Celine…

And… clipshow…

And let’s not forget that the olympics aren’t always popular or uncontroversial…

9 Likes

NBC’s Olympics coverage is basically the worst. If you want to destroy your liver, take a drink when:

• A commentator says something racist
  • A commentator says something stupid
  • A commentator says something sexist
  • A commentator says something xenophobic
  • “Let’s break from those other nations’ entrances to spend several minutes watching Team USA waiting backstage.”
  • Commercial break
13 Likes