Fox News executive VP complains that US Olympians are "Darker, Gayer, Different”

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/09/fox-news-executive-vp-complain.html

2 Likes

No sport that we are aware of awards points – or medals – for skin color or sexual orientation.

He’s not aware of his own sport, how quaint. His whole game is handing out those very points.

Mr Moody, your dogwhistle is out of tune.

30 Likes

Black Olympians: annoying fascist bigots since 1936.

101 Likes

tumblr_m2y6vbrl8p1qbily0o1_250

20 Likes

Being a whiney, intolerant bitch doesn’t win you medals either, but that hasn’t stopped him trying.

63 Likes

As a privileged white male, the thing I find personally offensive about this is that Fox News can’t help but be a caricature of its bigoted self. A little subtlety is all I’m asking for, Mr. Moody – for the challenge of decoding a dog whistle if nothing else.

30 Likes

Interesting he doesn’t seem to know what the general population actually looks like…

55 Likes

38 Likes

So, while uncomfortable, the question probably needs to be asked: were our Olympians selected because they’re the best at what they do, or because they’re the best publicity for our current obsession with having one each from Column A, B and C?

Hey dipshit. They are in the Olympics because they ARE the best at what they do (while retaining amateur status, though I am not sure that is true with all of the sports). Show me where we field anyone because they tick a box. I’ll wait.

PS - the NBA and NFL and MLB aren’t full of “darkies” because they tick boxes, either.

Jesus H Christ, where do they find these fossils?

52 Likes

It’s Mr. Dip Shit, I’ll have you know!

13 Likes

I remember watching Greg Louganis in the 1988 summer Olympics and feeling a strange and sudden interest in sports stirring in my young . . . mind. So yeah, not that much gayer.

35 Likes

Since we’re counting, out of 243 olympians;

10 African Americans=4.1% vs 13.3%
and
10 Asian Americans=4.1% vs 5.7% actual population (US Census bureau)
2 openly gay=.08% vs 3.8% actual population (Gallup)

63 Likes

I heard an interview with Jordan Greenway yesterday, he wasn’t initially aware he was a ‘first’. He sounded pretty interested in the Ice Hockey, though. Priorities.

7 Likes

If you think his reaction was strong, just wait until he finds out about jazz music

38 Likes

Is he describing the Asian American athletes like Nuprin to stay consistent? Just. Wow.

13 Likes

were our Olympians selected because they’re the best at what they do

That is typically how you get into the olympics. And why they have tryouts! God, what an idiot.

32 Likes

DAMMIT I was gonna make that reference. Well played.

8 Likes

It’s like he’s got just enough self-awareness to cloak his racism with an appeal to being “color blind” but can’t be arsed to check his assumptions against the data.

What really bothers this fossil is anyone talking about seeking diversity in a positive way. He wants diversity to only happen by accident and is completely blind to the way privilege makes serendipitous diversity a near impossibility. He is literally blinded by his own privilege.

18 Likes

Hey - maybe they should have them win athletic competitions to be on the team?

Never mind.

25 Likes

Well, it’s a good thing Fox News practices what he preaches.

60 Likes