Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

Yeah. I was upset when they kept talking over the Synchronicity performance

8 Likes

I missed this part.

She won’t be watching but she shared the video.

She’s hopped up on something.

9 Likes

Well now, can’t wait to see that!

8 Likes

Yup. Super grateful to have an alternate feed. :grimacing:

@tcg550: For MTG - :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I watched it, I did not even think of the last super.

5 Likes

Has she ever seen this, do you think? She should though. Might blow her head clean off

7 Likes

So the right wing nutosphere got revelations apocalypse from a cool horse and rider?

6 Likes

Death riding in? I assume that would be an equestrian event :wink:

10 Likes

Holy moly.

I could have used some subtitles for Celine but other than that…

Clipbacks Reaction GIF by Omer Studios

4 Likes

Huh. Understood her and all the other performers singing in French no problem, mais je parle Français! In the US, if you choose to learn French in middle or high school, you will be taught Parisian French. France has an entire governmental institution dedicated to the preservation and curation of the French language. :woman_shrugging:

For the next two weeks - how can I turn off the subtitles on NBC? Don’t need them and they’re wrong. English subtitles for French are always wrong. :pensive:

10 Likes

I took Spanish in high school, it didn’t go well but Sister Carmen was awesome, no idea how she put up with us delinquents.

5 Likes

That’s very true. Sadly, despite living next to Quebec in Maine, I failed French TWICE. The day before my French Final, which would get me off the hook for both years, I got too baked in the sun and was red like a lobster. Did not study.

Needed a 66 to pass BOTH years and got…

Wait for iiiiitttttttttt…

A “Trente-six” (I had to look up what 36 was in French)

5 Likes

Is CBC covering it? That might at least get you accurate subtitles.

8 Likes

That’s funny, I failed for the same reason, I was baked through most of high school.

5 Likes

I was kinda half watching it, but when they got to the Marie Antoinette vignette, and the band started playing, I yelled out “GOJIRA, FUCK YES!” and my wife looked at me like I had lost my mind.

8 Likes

Uh, Marjorie, no one invited you in the first place.

5 Likes

In practice, more like “dedicated to preserving the French language from the corrupting influences of everyone who doesn’t speak the French of Île-de-France.”

7 Likes

The opening ceremonies were basically unwatchable on NBC. It was just a complete mess of incomprehensible nonsense. A smattering of poorly shot ceremony scenes, intercut with the boat parade, intercut with random bullshit that had nothing to do with the ceremony at all. The commentary was predictably inane or ignorant at best, deeply offensive at worst.

I hope those of you not in the US were able to enjoy it because I want my 4 hours back. It was the absolute worst Olympics coverage I’ve ever seen.

10 Likes

Serena did not look like she enjoyed her boat ride, and Rafa’s translucent trousers?

5 Likes

The skateboarding final for men has been postponed to Monday due to rain :frowning_face:

The surfing is away from the rain (I hope) in Tahiti.

5 Likes