Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

Mon dieu, I hope not in movies too! Je ne parle pas francais, but I do watch and love a lot of French films with English subtitles. :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

Yes.

7 Likes

It’s all fun and games until somebody gets misgendered or deadnamed.

1 Like
10 Likes

We watched about half before the kid had to go to bed. It is awful. Stupid announcers. Bad takes on the performances. Plus one of our regional commercials is some ambulance-chasing law firm. The commercial will often play twice in one segment an is jarring.
I think it might be 1/3 commercials but it feels like 2/3.
I want to watch the CBC one :frowning:

7 Likes

The BBC commentary was tiptoeing around political sensitivities. Every time a former French colony appeared in the parade, the phrase “close ties to France” was used. But when the Vietnamese team appeared, one of the commentators followed it up with a mention of Ho Chi Minh and the First Indochina War before the cameras moved on to the next team.

The phrase “unincorporated territory of the United States” was used frequently without being explained.

8 Likes

She’s big upset that she can’t share satanic videos.

12 Likes
10 Likes

She needs to send her resume to either the New England Patriots or Michigan Men’s football. Both have drone cheating departments with openings.

5 Likes

… no Senators for YOU :crazy_face:

10 Likes

This her first rodeo with the IOC? Bless.

They are merciless capitalist motherfuckers. As hard right as her good self, also in bed with despots, bigots, and murderers.

Just way richer.

9 Likes

Where does Randall Munroe doing an Aly Dia fit onto this?

Thankfully for everyone involved, the Winter Olympics officials spotted me and managed to stop me before I got to the ski jump.

So there won’t be any Eddie the Eagle style fun?

9 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

5 Likes

Apparently someone isn’t being coached hard enough.

9 Likes
6 Likes

The delegations were placed in alphabetical order in French. South Korea (République de Corée) was placed under C and North Korea (République populaire démocratique de Corée) was placed under R, presumably to make sure that they were kept as far apart as possible.

4 Likes

Nothing can be as bad as Mike Tirico noting that despite Iraq and Iran being alphabetical and geographical neighbors, that they were placed on different boats. Really? That’s your “expert” commentary?

Another thing that was wild to me speeches from Bach and the event organizer were not broadcast at all, instead relegated to quick 5 second “tl;dr” summaries. (I’m going to guess it’s because they didn’t want to bother broadcasting non-English speeches to us uncultured Americans because clearly real-time translated subtitles or hiring interpreters are difficult in this day and age.)

9 Likes

I was purposefully tuning out all the commentary because :weary:

8 Likes

Most of Thomas Bach’s speech was in English.

4 Likes

I figured since he speaks French he’d deliver it all in French. Since NBC didn’t broadcast any of it, I had no idea and had to assume the worst.

Not that I was particularly interested in what Bach had to say or anything - I’m assuming it was the usual empty platitudes about sport uniting a conflicted world and blah blah blah. It’s just yet another example of how damn shoddy this coverage was.

6 Likes