Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

Bach made introductory remarks thanking the hosts, etc, in French. Perhaps the NBC director thought that it would all be in French and noped out straight away.

5 Likes

OMG, Conservatives are having a meltdown over some drag queens recreating The Last Supper…

What a bunch of creepy weirdos.

11 Likes

BTW, the Guardian has a running tally of the medal count…

8 Likes

Bach’s career is more or less a long list of reasons you should probably keep an eye on him while giving him no more attention that than requires; but I somehow doubt that NBC is acting on principle in this case.

3 Likes

And apparently, NBC mostly cut away from the drag queens :rage:

10 Likes

There was a combined total of maybe 3 minutes of coverage of the runway show on NBC. The very beginning (even that was truncated), parkour person carrying the torch through it, and the rest was some occasional cuts to it for a few seconds at a time. That was the extent of what US audiences saw.

8 Likes

Angry Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

7 Likes

The BBC showed it, but are going out of their way to not talk about it anymore. About the closest they have come since is mentioning there were people dancing to “disco” music (instead of drag queens dancing to house music) with a one second clip.

I guess they’re saying that TERs lost touch with popular culture at some point in the 1970s, which does feel about right.

11 Likes

[I was one class short of a minor in French at uni. 7 years total studying. Also, people in Quebec speak Quebecois, I have a hard time with it, and apparently so do people in France. Don’t feel bad for not doing well, it’s not an easy language to learn.]

7 Likes

CBC is covering, opening ceremonies had no subtitles!

8 Likes

I was going to skip the remainder of the opening ceremony because NBC. But the kid wants to know what happened to the torch person.

So far the incredibly annoying ambulance chaser isn’t in the replay commercials. A small mercy.

The kid says “but mom! Everyone should donate money so each country can have at least 20 athletes!”

ETA: getting full screen shots of fashion walk/last supper. Probably over a minute total at this point.

5 Likes

I’m trying to watch the OC replay on peacrap and, whew, it is unwatchable.

I’ve been lucky enough to watch Olympic coverage in other countries,

The OC is an orchestrated event for a live audience. For some reason NBC seems to think they need to re-orchestrate it for the USA tv audience and it always sucks. They never ever learn.

7 Likes

And/or France sticking it to Trump and associated others, perhaps?

5 Likes

Our daughter texted us, her husband has a cousin on the wrestling team. Not a close cousin but hey, I know someone that knows someone in Paris.

Neat.

Now I have to watch wrestling.

10 Likes

And I looked, and behold a pale horse…

said the pale horse’s pudenda.

2 Likes

Maybe…!

21 Likes

Shout out to 2004 breakin’ goths…

[ETA]

7 Likes

Count me on the side of not listening to Bach pontificate as a bonus.

1 Like

NBC ran the opening ceremony live during the day. Thomas Bach’s speech was complete during this airing (mostly French, then some English, then some more bit of French, a few more words in English, and the final words in French).

I also hate that NBC does this crazy editing for prime time.

7 Likes

14 Likes