Tokyo has banned Olympic spectators

Originally published at: Tokyo has banned Olympic spectators | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Once again, the question is asked: why even bother?

Once again, the real answer remains unspoken by those in charge: corrupt Olympic committee officials need to collect their loot, as do the corporate sponsors and TV networks.

32 Likes

giphy (2)

29 Likes

So the opening ceremony will be a person at one end of the stadium with a flag and a person at the other end with a torch while a video is projected onto the floor?

7 Likes

14 Likes

tumblr_06f0abed69ef2f0fe5646e947bac722b_dd744d8c_640

6 Likes

Good.

Any estimates on how much Japan stands to lose from this debacle?

7 Likes

Less than Greece did…

10 Likes

Fixed that quote for him.

7 Likes

Fixed it for you.

5 Likes

The Olympics should be cancelled, due to the pandemic, but all the crap they pulled in the last couple decades just makes me not want to watch or care.

8 Likes

Crap. Thanks!

6 Likes

It isn’t too late for them to take up my idea of a Twitch Olympics. Everyone stays home and does their events separately; streaming themselves.

6 Likes
17 Likes

What, and miss out on the international display of competitive sports medicine?

8 Likes

No, the opening ceremony will be held for the sake of the “VIPs,” sponsors and other hangers-on (apparently there are about 10,000 in all)

6 Likes

The opening ceremony is already an omnishambles.

And that was after the original ceremonies committee members were sacked last year and their plans abandoned. Yes, there would have been a shoutout to Akira.

3 Likes

I assume that there was some amount of face-saving/technically-delivering-on-stupid-promises involved as well.

On the IOC and friends side purely mercenary motives are a plausible explanation; but it’s harder to comprehend the voluntary cooperation of the necessary people on the host nation side without either positing regulatory capture on a pretty dramatic scale(especially in a case like this, where you don’t just need to play a municipal government enough to get them to sign up to do something stupid and expensive; you need to keep everyone with the authority to partially or wholly spoil the party on emergency grounds from stepping in); or attributing some of their enthusiasm to a desire to notch up a prestige spectacle for themselves rather than see it go to someone else.

The prestige incentive seems especially plausible given trends in IOC bids from relatively democratic and more or less authoritarian countries: it appears that playing host is generally recognized as a suckers game, enough so that whatever direct corruption is available is often inadequate to ram a bid through if popular approval is required; but people who don’t really need to worry about popular approval still seem to think that whatever they gain by throwing money into the pit is worth it.

2 Likes

I’ve got no problems with an Akira opener.

1 Like

Unfortunately you probably won’t get one.

1 Like