No, Russia didn't hack Vermont's power grid

Oh for heaven’s sake, no one is launching nuclear weapons. Mutual assured destruction works because the other side also knows that millions (not billions - no one is nuking the countryside or uninvolved countries) could die.

Never mind that our defense spending is pretty close to what we spent during the peak of the cold war already, let’s be clear here: neither Russia nor China are the USSR. Neither one poses the kind of existential threat that the Soviet Union did.

We’re not going around the world trying to fight ideological wars against Russia or China. We don’t have to. We remain the world’s only superpower.

I’m not sure why you’d consider it jingoistic. Our foreign policy has been limited to economic sanctions which is hardly the aggressive foreign policy that jingoism refers to.

The only mistake WaPo made was saying that the grid itself was attacked. The language they used, at least in the version I saw, never said the hack on this laptop was perpetrated by the Russian government - just that the code itself is associated with a Russian hacking operation.

Further, they updated their article with the proper correction. That’s not fake news. That’s a mistake which they promptly corrected as any ethnical journalistic operation would.

Fake news is the intentional publishing of hoaxes, propaganda, misinformation and disinformation in order to deceive. There was nothing intentional about WaPo’s error.

Two independent security firms came forward evidence of Russian hacking as well as our own intelligence agencies. I can’t come up with a compelling reason why an independent security firm would lie about such a thing - especially considering all they had to lose if they made false allegations.

(stolen from the internets)

###FBI-DHS

###CrowdStrike

###ThreatConnect

###Reports Connecting Fancy Bear and Cozy Bear to the Russian Government

###Reports on APT 28 (Fancy Bear) and APT 29 (Cozy Bear)

14 Likes