No warrant is needed to get your phone's location data, U.S. appeals court rules

[Read the post]

Looks like the market for untraceable cell phones is going to heat up.

5 Likes

Our illustrious Congresscritters are doing their best to solve that problem:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4886

Terrists, ya know.

5 Likes

You would think that if one is willingly sharing the information then there should be the option to be unwilling to share itā€¦

6 Likes

Or willingly chose to NOT share.

I guess the willingness comes from choosing to have a cellphone, because thatā€™s totally optional now. Just like an internet connection. No one in a modern society needs those things [/snark]

4 Likes

Itā€™s fine, itā€™s fine. This will only be used to locate bad people.

6 Likes

Like you, and me.

2 Likes

This is crazy. Besides the fact that one canā€™t decide to not share location information, just because one willingly shares information with a third party doesnā€™t mean the police are entitled to that information without a warrant.

Unfortunately, there really isnā€™t such a thing: a smartphone with its ā€˜location servicesā€™ turned on and phoning home to the mothership is considerably worse, offering particularly high accuracy and frequent updates; but any cellphone with the ā€˜phoneā€™ part powered up will let the telco know where it is with at least enough accuracy to know which cell tower to communicate with it from; and in areas where coverage is good enough for triangulation, probably better than that(especially given the location accuracy requirements imposed for e911).

That is actually one advantage of old-school POCSAG-based pagers: pager networks just broadcast blindly and do not require knowledge of the receiverā€™s location. It has long been a wishlist item for the more paranoid FOSS-cellphone people to have a phone/pager combo(with FOSS firmware, naturally) that would allow you to keep the cell modem dark except when you specifically want to use it, with the pager providing notifications of missed calls and such without constantly tracking you. As far as I know you canā€™t actually get one of those; but they have been theorized in some detail.

1 Like

It is crazy; but itā€™s the kind of crazy that some guy in a black robe decided to call ā€œThe Third party Doctrineā€, so itā€™s legally binding crazy.

1 Like

Thanks interstate commerce, for giving me a tiny troop to quarter in my pocket.

canā€™t they already GPS track you without a warrant?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you about this, butā€¦

Holy shit! Iā€™m so sick of the LA county, west side Democrats pretending to be progressive. Jackie Speier is officially right of the former USSR with the sponsorship of this bill.

For those who havenā€™t looked at Representative Speierā€™s bill, you must provide a W-2 (one with a SS#) along with a government-issued I.D. in order to purchase a pre-paid phone. Just so they can track people and locations?:frowning2:

1 Like

I donā€™t believe my phone company has even once indicated to me that they know where I am.

I imagine most people think of their phone signal more like a TV signal - available or not - rather than as a location focused back and forth

Just remove the battery.

Problem solved.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.