Should police be able to access your cellphone location history without a warrant? Supreme Court to decide

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/05/supreme-court-phone-spy-case.html

3 Likes

This keeps getting complicated. Anytime we give police the authority to use warrantless surveillance to “catch terrorists” they end up using the technology primarily on low level drug offenders. Smart criminals leave their cellphones at home while committing their crimes.

3 Likes

“… police [being] able to access your cellphone location history without a warrant” is, I’d think, a slippery slope, and one that cops would gladly ski down on the sly in snagging non-location info since they’d – you know – happen to be in the location history ‘neighborhood’.

1 Like

But it would be just the thing for catching kids truant from school!

We could skip all the preliminaries and jump straight to GPS collars around all our necks.

That would be consistent with what law enforcement seems to want.

2 Likes

I fail to see how being able to do it without a warrant could help legitimate police work.

A phone’s current location (or last known location) is another matter, as I can imagine emergency situations where a warrant would take too long to get, but the location history? Nope. No way.

Edit: OK, maybe a short excerpt of the most recent locations can be useful to locate a fugitive or an endangered person, but there needs to be a strict limit.

No, fuck that. They can get an emergency warrant if it’s an emergency.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks, I don’t know much about police procedures in the USA.

1 Like

Even the Goddamn Batman had limits.

But only for certain, types.

Land of the free’n’all that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.