Non-Chinese politicians in Canada give themselves Chinese language names for campaigning

The HK tradition originated from British colonialism, although they’ve continued it since, so it isn’t part of mainland culture – it’s a bit like how you can find people from India with Portuguese names because they or their family came from Goa.

Thanks! I’m confused why you chose to share this in reply to me saying we should learn our classmates names but it’s still interesting

My point is people often assume that a name that doesn’t “fit” their ethnicity is an affectation, but often it isn’t that at all.

That’s a problem everywhere. The company says that they don’t accept political ads, but they do little to screen them out, and certainly don’t fact-check.

From his list of names from the BC 2017 campaign:

David Eby’s name is somewhat memorable for the dashing and slightly creative surname 尹 (Yin), but 大卫 (Da Wei) is such an overused transliteration of David as to be cliché. One of the characters in your first year Mandarin textbook is always called 大卫. And he’s always annoying, and American.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.