That's Dr. Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck to you!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/thats-dr-marijuana-pepsi-va.html

12 Likes

Coincidentally, I went to high school with a girl also named Marijuana, but she had no unusual middle name, though.

That is a helluva moniker to go by; bravo to her for rocking it.

29 Likes

Some flat out refused to call her that or insisted on Mary, which she rejected.

Dr. Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck, yes she did…

10 Likes

In before A Boy Named Sue.

Incidentally, her story has a lot of meaning for me, since I was christened as Kelly and grew up in the plains states, where Kelly was “a girl’s name”.

20 Likes

There is a chapter in Freakonomics where they talk about names and the impact they have on the person. One guy literally named his kids Winner and Loser. Ironically, Winner was in and out of jail, and Loser (Lou) went on to be a detective. Though the chapter did go on to show names can affect how one is perceived, they aren’t destiny.

8 Likes

I think if your name is Marijuana, you have to at least cop to “Mary Jane”.

At a minimum, I hope there’s a Mr. Psilocybin Coke Goatee out there for her…

13 Likes

In before President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

12 Likes

Puffs up chest

Oh yeah? Well, in before Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop. /s

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/beezow-doo-doo-zopittybop_n_1190410

4 Likes

In before Malcolm Peter Brian Telescope Adrian Blackpool Rock Stoatgobbler John Raw Vegetable Brrroooo Norman Michael (rings bell) (blows whistle) Edward (sounds car horn) (does train impersonation) (sounds buzzer) Thomas Moo… (sings) “We’ll keep a welcome in the…” (fires gun) William (makes silly noise) “Raindrops keep falling on my” (weird noise) “Don’t sleep in the subway” (cuckoo cuckoo) Naaoooo… Smith.

7 Likes

I should know this…Alexi Sayle?

2 Likes

http://montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Series_2/45.htm

4 Likes

I’m male but have a first name that’s common and almost exclusively reserved for females in this country. It’s a useful icebreaker when being introduced. And almost no one forgets my name. It’s a significant asset.

5 Likes

Jinx. I just edited to remark the same above.

I would have no issues working with someone with a name like that, though want to shorten it not because of the substance implications but because i’m lazy. That said i always make it a point to say people’s names correctly and only use nicknames if offered up to me because… well, names matter.

For one, i have a super common name and i don’t like people making a choice without asking first to change it to a nick name or shortened version. I particularly don’t like when people change my name to the spanish equivalent of it by Hispanic co-workers… yes, i’m Latino but that’s not my name. Still i don’t make a fuss over it but i sympathize with the person in the article.

6 Likes

Mine’s no where that masculine nor uncommon. Well, not as common now days. But used to be in the top 50.

Aw, I wish I had an interesting name. My parents chose a name that, while its popularity had peaked several years before, was still popular enough that it seems like a third of the white dudes I meet that are my age have my name. Oh, well. Congrats, Doc!

1 Like

Richard Katimski : Just pretend that I’m a track coach. I happened to notice you can run fast. I need you on my team. It’s as simple as that, Enrique.

Enrique (Rickie) Vasquez : Stop calling me that! Why are you calling me that?

Not even Mary Jane?

I love her just the same.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago I made my kid listen to some Best of Johnny Cash, starting with A Boy Named Sue. I hope she liked it.

Coincidentally, that same day, flipping through the radio we heard it again! Probably the only time I’ve heard it on the radio.

3 Likes