Most popular baby names of 2018

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/02/most-popular-baby-names-of-201.html

4 Likes

I read, “start early with this 100% meat” next to the picture of the baby and jumped to the inevitable conclusion.

12 Likes

Very revealing

8 Likes

But they’re so fatty. People really had terrible diets in the fifties

6 Likes

Might I make a modest proposal to change it from “Swift’s meat for babies” to “Swift’s meat from babies”?

14 Likes

I saw something the other day: a mother complaining airline staff laughed at her daughter’s name. That name? “Abcde”. Apparently pronounced something like ‘Abh-sid-ee’. I vote that as the stupidest name of this year.

Yeah, I’m feeling judgey tonight.

13 Likes

Feel sorry for the kid’s younger sibling, “Fghij”

18 Likes

Milk-fed is always the most tender.

4 Likes

It’s the Best Way to Start Your Day.

100percentmeat

5 Likes

I take no pleasure in grown ass adults laughing at a kid. Fuck that noise. Who cares if you or anyone else thinks it’s a stupid name. Adults in their professional capacity shouldn’t point and laugh at children.

18 Likes

Pronounced “figgy”.

3 Likes

Given names in Sweden must be government approved. I personally think this is too heavy-handed, but there are times when I see the point.

Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116, ostensibly pronounced [Albin], was a name intended for a Swedish child who was born in 1991. Parents Elisabeth Hallin and Lasse Diding gave their child this name to protest a fine, imposed in accordance with the naming law in Sweden.

2 Likes

Yeah. I think there’s something similar in Iceland too.

1 Like

Pronounced fhqwhgads.

7 Likes

These are my three lovely children; Robocop, #!, and Frank.

2 Likes

People shouldn’t act like bullies, no matter what people’s names are. I’m sorry that this is so controversial here. It shouldn’t be, since I assume at least some of us were bullied in our childhood.

12 Likes

I think most were, and that most who’d claim otherwise are less than honest. Frankly most people period are subject to bullying, and mutants take time to reach our happiness.

So yeah, maybe choosing an odd name isn’t the single wisest choice, but laughing at a kid or the parent who named them is still a dick move.

15 Likes

eh… that is a whatevs.
The only one that has had me scratching my head as one of the kids classmates was named Azrael (everyone called her Azzy and she was a great kid) and I was all like wait you named the kid after the angel of death? Okay. Even the kid named Digital I at least understand living in a tech mecca.

8 Likes

Oh how jelly I’d have been. That’s a metal name.

10 Likes

Yet they were so much slimmer than we are today.

1 Like