That's Dr. Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck to you!

Hi, my name is Sue. How do you do? Now you gunna die!

5 Likes

This also works the other way. My name is an extremely common one, both as a full name itself but also as a nickname for a longer form. I’ve had a number of people automatically assume that my proper official name must be the longer form. That is not my name.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m taken & happy with my Dear Wife.

6 Likes

The movie “Charley Varrick” had a hitman named Molly (played by Joe Don Baker) who was a major BAMF

The movie “Prime Cut” featured a gangster named Mary Ann, played with particular viciousness by Gene Hackman

Both films are highly recommended for fans of gritty 70’s thrillers.

4 Likes

Then there is

Herr Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm, and ask you - just quickly - if there’s any particular thing that you remember about Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?
http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode06.htm#2

5 Likes

The barriers and obstacles she mentions , that might apply more to someone with a physical challenge, or some economic disadvantage… Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez comes to mind as someone who has done well despite/because of the barriers she faced. Being named Zithoustar Zidane just means at school you get picked last for the good stuff and first for the bad stuff.

Saddling your child with a crazy name … you can’t know it will make them stronger … could also be the thing that keeps them down.

Seems like Dr. Pepsi’s life was made that much harder… not like she was chosen at birth like the Dali Lama to be the great emancipator of poorly-named people.

Along the same lines of naming a kid Destiny or Hope because of some wrong your family/people have suffered from colonialism and you believe they will grow up to become the beacons of change. A lot of pressure and ideals to live up to.

A former cow-orker of mine rocked this at GenCon last year. Apparently, the name temporarily broke Kotaku…

And since he is a reader of this site, I figured I’d give him a shoutout and embarass him a little.

6 Likes

Very cool. and also you are clearly a good friend in sharing his efforts with us all. .

1 Like

It’s fitting that an African American woman who has gone through life as Marijuana Pepsi chose as her dissertation topic: “Black names in white classrooms: Teacher behaviors and student perceptions.”

I think more accurately, “Marijuana Pepsi” isn’t so much a “black” name as an “eccentric” one.

“Zopittybop-Bop-Bop was born Jeffrey Drew Wilschke”

Well that explains why he changed it, then. Who’d want to be saddled with that name?

5 Likes

At least his middle name wasn’t Wayne.

A little Weird News in-joke, there.

4 Likes

Inb4 If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned Barebone

2 Likes

InB4 Thou-Shalt-Not-Commit-Adultery Pulsifer. :wink:

ETA

…his dad’s name: Praise-God Barebone. Wikipedia notes that Praise-God’s reputed middle name was similar to his son’s, and his full name was believed to be Praise-God Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone.

6 Likes

Extra point for you! :+1:

3 Likes
2 Likes

My great grandfather had one of the best names I’ve ever heard. Well, middle name anyway. His name was Franklin Fearless Scott. I like to think he was a badass, but have no way to confirm.

3 Likes

OH yes - Puritan name were both straight up bonkers and gangster at the same time.

2 Likes

Did you even read my post?

Get bent and don’t talk to me again

4 Likes

Mine is not quite common, but ditto to the rest.

What about Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James Oatway? He was named after the 1972-3 Queens Park Rangers first team and went on to play football himself, although not for QPR.

He prefers to be called Charlie.

ETA:
Wolfgang Wolf, former manager (head coach) of VfL Wolfsburg

3 Likes

Thou-Shalt-Not-Commit-Adultery Pulsifer, may he rest in pieces.