That's Dr. Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck to you!

Dr Marijuana Pepsi Vandyck, meet Dr Pizza Chow.

2 Likes

Whoa. Since Germans, in general, aren’t very timid calling to attention the obvious, she will get a lot of comments which would insult, e.g., US Americans deeply. Working for the MPI in Tenerife, Spain, might make this a little less difficult, but her closer work community might well be dominated by a “German” culture of, erm… frankness.

ETA: there’s a strongly satirical comic book which comes to mind. Schöner Leben mit dem Kleinen Arschloch at one point recommends to call your child Yoghurt or the expletive term for anal intercourse. Many people in her and Marijuana Pepsi’s age cohort would know it. People in Germany simply don’t know “no jokes about names” holdbacks.
I wonder if Henning Wehn already has talked about that. British would be terrified, I guess.

Bottom line: in Germany, I consider it quite good that the law doesn’t allow you to name your kid like you want. Brand names, e.g., should be off the list. Marijuana would be slightly difficult to argue for, but possible, I would think. Pizza? Not so much.
FTR, the Kindeswohl in regard to common cultural practice is the legal guideline. Welfare of the child is a clumsy translation, but the best I can come up with.

1 Like

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas.

I always wondered if other Sri Lankan kids teased him about the “Joseph”.

2 Likes

First name and last name shared with two famous British explorers who were held out to the public for many decades as “fearless”. Which they may well have been although they were both somewhat lacking in competence, resulting in both of them dying along with the men of their final expeditions.

That’s my guess anyway…

Considering that Christians are a minority on Sri Lanka, quite probably so.

And naming your child after a famous celebrity does not always help either.

Jesús is a pretty normal, common Hispanic name

1 Like

And here I was going to go with Tarquin Fin-tim-bin-lin-whin-bim-lim bus stop F’tang F’tang Olé biscuit barrel, but you one-upped me…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.