Non-contact voltage testers are a must for home wiring

Ha! Same thing happened to me. I found the second hot when I reached into the gang box to move the wires from the first circuit. Found them the hard way. They had no purpose in the box–it was just a convenient transition point for whatever was going on.

Not unusual, but not cool if you can avoid it.

Assume nothing, test everything.

Fair enough on neutral sharing.

This was a particularly fun junction box as they converted two locations in a 4 way switch setup into outlets running off two breakers. It was a head scratcher figuring out what they had done (new wall so the other switches weren’t in the same room…). I went with disabling the two new outlets and calling an electrician to pull new wires. (Sometimes you have to admit defeat)

1 Like

Eventually Electroboom will run out of ways to show you “what not to do”, right?

2 Likes

That’s always one of the joys [/sarcasm] of home ownership, sorting out the dodgy work done by prior owners. I found a live electrical outlet buried behind a kitchen cabinet, a live electric line disconnected and hanging down in the basement ceiling, and a live electric line connected to an old time radio antenna jack. I discovered that last one with my fingers when pointing out how cool the jack was.

2 Likes

I’ve had my fair share of blown fuses and ruined leads by being careless about making sure I was on AC and in the right range. No blown meters, at least.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.