Non-marring nylon spudgers for prying open electronics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/31/non-marring-nylon-spudgers-for.html

Nylon Spudgers is the name of my new band

7 Likes

When I needed to open my Mac Plus in late 1993, somewhere I saw the suggestion to use one of those large metal paper clips, with a relatively flat front edge. I forget what they called them, but a search now indicates “bulldog clip” is what they are called.

I’m sure I used that, and it was successfully.

1 Like

When President Pence takes office, one will no longer be able to say “spudgers” on the internet.

1 Like

I have a set of phone-repair tools I bought years ago on impulse, and I would never have predicted then how much use they would get. I do suggest you supplement those three with some of the guitar-pick-style spudgers, for holding one end of a device open while you pry along the sides towards the other end.

1 Like

I’ve once repaired an 2006(?) iMac that required tool that looked like a credit card to get inside. The tool was called “Apple Access Card” and could actually be made from a credit card:

It was inserted into the slot in the upper back of the computer and used to release the latches.

1 Like

I spudge.
Thou spudgest.
He/she/it spudges.
We spudge.
You spudge.
They spudge.

New verb, yay!

2 Likes

I use a guitar pick for this purpose.

1 Like

I got a set of spudgers to take apart my Vive controllers in an attempt to fix the dubiously-designed trackpads. It sort of worked.

1 Like

These would be handy for opening my Dell Inspiron. My thumbnails are weak enough that it’s a pain getting it open (but I did so and maxed out the RAM).

It’s not quite as easy to service as a ThinkPad T, X, or W, but it at least it is user-serviceable.

1 Like

when i worked as a “Genius” for Apple we just used old subway cards or expired membership cards we had in our wallets.

2 Likes

these are superior:

1 Like

I used expired credit card :slight_smile:
It was kind of silly that to repair a computer I’d have to insert credit card…

1 Like

Looks like one in the set of three.

1 Like

yep, and the only shape I’ve ever really needed. The material Menda uses is of better quality. Over the years i’ve tried many brands and materials and always come back to Menda. Everything else i’ve used is either too hard and can damage device enclosures or is too soft/brittle and breaks too quickly. The menda spudgers sit in a happy medium where they’re as strong as they need to be, but will sacrifice themselves to protect the device. Also; the posted product doesn’t mention anything about ESD. Also also; 'Merican made.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.