Non-religious woman who refused judge's order to meet with Christian counselor loses her sons

This is a nice, respectful, thoughtful discussion.

However…

This ‘Christian Counselor’ - is she a real counselor - a licensed counselor? Is she Licensed?

Not anyone can be a mental health provider liturgical or otherwise - and getting referrals from the legal system can be sticky. So- wtf? She lacks a permanent office. Most cities - even the expensive ones - have some sort of space that even mediocre counselors with a so-so client base can afford. Asking clients to reserve a study room in a library in the client’s name? Oy yoy yoy.

In my former profession (for now…ugh), my university degrees, and in interfaith activities & friendships, I have gotten to know liturgical counselors belonging to various faiths. They are professionals. Of course these folks are informed by their faith - but they also are professionals who have standards & practices that are customary to mental health professions. Professional detachment the best you can & all of that.

If a client shares their faith - that’s one thing. But proselytizing - especially the blatant bully-sell we’re discussing here - and in the very first session - is unprofessional and bizarre. We all have our biases - but the alleged counselor here - is she the judge’s niece, lover or both or something?

What I mean is that most liturgical counselors I - of whatever faith - I have gotten to know - try to help the client first & try to suppress their personal biases the best they can - like the ideal for chaplains.

What I’m trying to say -

This alleged counselor sounds like an uneducated quack-job & what is her relationship to this judge?

13 Likes