God told judge to tell jury that defendant should not be convicted, so he did

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/23/god-told-judge-to-tell-jury-th.html

Someone needs to look in to what might cause a judge to want to let a sex trafficker go free.

WTF !!! …oh, right Texas. I understand now.

How does someone who clearly has no understanding of the First Amendment or the role of a judge in jury trial get this position?

[ETA: ah, elected judge and Texas. Understood]

I’ve always found it a little weird that some states (like Texas) elect judges, rather than the judges being appointed. In this case, the judge ran unopposed in 2014. I would be a little depressing if he wins in 2018 as well. (Source: https://ballotpedia.org/Jack_Robison)

Isn’t claiming that God spoke to you considered heresy, if not blasphemy?

@gracchus: Elections.

God: “You misunderstood me, I said ‘let the jury be’, not, ‘let this man go free’” >:-|

He needs to be immediately dismissed from the bench, and probably frog-marched into a psychiatric facility.

The only difference between Christian theocrats we are told to embrace and the Islamic theocrats we are told to fear is the outfits.

Boy this is a strange one. At least he recused himself.

See also: recent Alabama Supreme Court history

At a bare minimum I think most people would hear someone say god talked to them and go, “Oh, you mean figuratively right? Like you mulled it over a bunch and came to a decision? Wait, unless you “literally” heard god in which case you should be considered incompetent and be removed from the bench as any adult that pulls that kind of sh*t has some problems that need to get worked out”

Naw, hearing voices isn’t incompetence. It’s mental illness.

I clicked just to check to see if it was Texas. At least it’s a localized infection still.

Why didn’t gawd speak directly to the jurors?

com-optimize%20(1)

The odd twist is one would think with a name like Perez and in Texas, the Judge would have suggested to find the person guilty.

At any rate, that Judge needs to be removed. Period.

Why_not_both

Police who can give themselves “Get out of jail” coupons, judges who follow imaginary commands from god instead of the law … yeah everything seems normal in the UAE … sorry I meant USA.

Rule of law is totally overrated anyhow.

My question exactly!