Judge tells jury to acquit accused sex trafficker because God said she's innocent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/08/judge-tells-jury-to-acquit-acc.html

4 Likes

Or more likely ‘The defendant has dirt on me or my boss that I want to stay hidden’

29 Likes

An good example of the GOP installed judge pool coming soon to a jurisdiction near you.

26 Likes

When God tells me I gotta do something, I gotta do it get my meds checked.

FTFY, your Honor.

25 Likes

There’s sooo much wrong here, but just to sum up:

• Sex trafficking work shouldn’t be a crime at all, unless it’s not consensual.

• “God says” should never be used as a rationale for anything legal binding.

• The judge’s claims of temporary mental impairment seem like a lame excuse and an insult to people who genuinely suffer from mental illness.

28 Likes

Well, there’s a book in popular circulation that details some pretty heinous shit that god has supposedly done, so I think that cat is already out of the bag.

11 Likes

11 Likes

While I am suspicious it can very well be true. Was this behavior consistent with the judge’s past behavior? I recommend reading The Neuroscientist Who Lost Her Mind: My Tale of Madness and Recovery. The author had many signs of frontotemporal dementia due to a brain tumor. Amazingly she made a recovery and was able to provide rare 1st person insight from what it is like to have cognitive problems from a person who recovered from them. Plus her symptoms were in line with the issues she studied and she was not able to recognize her own delusions at the time.

10 Likes

Dude, I think it is time to step down. Or at least take a leave of absence until your issues clear up.

8 Likes

Judge: God says she’s innocent.

Jury: Testify!

Judge Hallelujah!

Jury: No, we mean we want to hear God testify regarding her innocence. Under oath.

33 Likes

Is this that dual loyalty thing I’ve been hearing about?

6 Likes

images%20(4)

7 Likes

Oh okay, then. Carry on judging.

11 Likes

episodic medical condition referred to as a ‘delirium’ religion

FTFY

14 Likes

Don’t you think a judge has more useful methods at his disposal? Disallow witnesses or inconvenient questions, give biased instructions to the jury and so on. I think temporary insanity seems like a perfectly reasonable explanation for this behavior that he in a rational moment would have realized couldn’t possibly work.

2 Likes

Robison provided letters from two medical professionals that Robison’s outburst was caused by a “temporary, episodic medical condition referred to as a ‘delirum.’”

Pretty much sums up the whole of the Bible right there.

9 Likes

Well, Revelation at the very least.

5 Likes

So he was speaking in tongues?

1 Like

I asked elsewhere, but maybe someone here knows…

How was the witness sworn in?

3 Likes

We’ll never know, since presumably he thinks English is Heaven’s official language.

5 Likes