North Carolina adopts the nation's worst police bodycam law

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/14/north-carolina-adopts-the-nati.html

1 Like

I’m shocked… that it took them this long to come up with a countermeasure.

11 Likes

They will defeat transparency one way or another!

There’s nothing corrupt people fear more.

11 Likes

And so North Carolina heads faster to the bottom. Thank FSM that we have Facebook Live Stream and Periscope and so forth to fill in the gaps.

7 Likes

Not so much “missing the point” as “getting the point, and rejecting it.”

8 Likes

In other words, bodycam footage will only be used to exonerate cops that are accused of something that they are technically innocent of or which the (edited) released footage implies they are innocent of, or as evidence to support the prosecution of a suspect.

10 Likes

off-limits to anyone who isn’t personally pictured in the footage

So basically: If you assault a suspect, make sure you kill them so that the evidence dies with the victim.

5 Likes

Problem: Police misbehavior.
North Carolina’s Solution: A broom and a large rug under which the problem can be swept.

12 Likes

They will have body cams, but only allow them to be worn inside officers underwear…

4 Likes

I think it’s because until now there were enough loopholes, even in “mandatory” body-cam usage (which is still incredibly rare), that they didn’t need these countermeasures.

1 Like

“It’s better to have rules and guidelines with all this technology than no rules and guidelines whatsoever,”

I have personally seen local SD PD with small black elastic bands over their cams, like the kind for “mourning a deceased person”, it’s really fucked up.

4 Likes

The person who controls the video controls the narrative. You can bet we’ll see police body cam footage that seems to confirm officer’s stories and not see footage that doesn’t.

8 Likes

…off-limits to anyone who isn’t personally pictured in the footage

How do you know if you are personally pictured in the footage if nobody can see it?

6 Likes

I was once trying to recruit a friend to play the “batman role playing game” a tabletop game I had gotten in my 10 books for a dollar from SF book club. He wasn’t a gamer, but I didn’t have any gamer friends. So I told him, when he said he wanted to be a ninja: “fine, you can be a ninja, pick out your skills and distribute your rolls” he said “well, I’m a ninja, so I’d already have all those skills” to which I replied, well, you need to spend the points to build your kicking and punching, and agility, stealth, etc…to become a ninja. We ended in an impasse.

This is how I feel when encountering the resistance to bodycams, civilian review boards, etc… It’s like some weird, circular protestant predetermination narrative. I am a police officer, thus I am honest, therefore I get to be a police officer, because police officers are honest. Conversely anyone not “chosen” for this work is constantly suspect. It’s fucking mindrendingly frustrating.

4 Likes

Yet if you were to put a plastic bag over a traffic cam, those same cops would be happy to arrest you and charge you with some sort of tampering.

6 Likes

North Carolina does seem to have form…

1 Like

Assuming you don’t get shot reaching for your phone.

It’s better to have rules and guidelines with all this technology than no rules and guidelines whatsoever," said McCrory.

He’s got us there! That is UNDENIABLY TRUE

And hope someone else is filming…

Yeah, cause that will somehow make me less dead.

1 Like