North Carolina House Republicans sneak abortion rules into motorcycle safety bill without notice

I’m just baffled by the sheer energy that is being poured into managing this sort of thing. Values and beliefs are great motivators, but…basically, where’s the money in it?

As a NC native and Republican I just look at these asshats and think, “And you wonder why people don’t like this party…” But at the same time I can’t reconcile the religious side with the tightfisted money hungry side. Not to be overly insensitive, but I’d think that keeping people from having kids who might not be able to support them would be cheaper than giving them the aid/support they need to raise that child. (Or at least allowing them that option if they so choose.)

When I tell people I’m pro-choice and a Republican they just stare like I’m some abomination. Really, is it that hard to wrap your head around it all… Fuck it I should just go independent/pirate party.

Sadly at this point, you’re not a republican anymore. Your party left you, and in practice other parties are more fit for what you want/represent.

1 Like

Now - tell me again - how does this motorcycle abortion work ?

Wait 'til late night TV gets hold of this one !

As I had also hoped.
If you cannot make an argument from their perspective that sounds even halfway true then it’s probably not.
But I got a bite, so the hot air to carry them seems to still be enough.

Every spark plug is sacred!

3 Likes

But wait, what does this bill do to motorcycle riders?!

The article this links to refers to Rep. Paul Stam as an “Apex Republican,” which I thought was a new breed of super-conservative politician. I was disappointed to learn that Apex is just the NC city he represents. In the future, though, I’m going to use the term my way.

3 Likes

And when the governor ran for election last year he flatly promised no new abortion laws.

And these measures were passed in several state in special sessions after hours, without debates, without press coverage, on a holiday weekend.

So there is this whole brazen lying and acting like thieves in the night aspect.

Make no mistake, these are the same folks that would shoot you dead and claim it was God’s will. But in NC it’s really obvious, because this has got the KKK folks all excited. The newcomers don’t know about NC’s history of racial violence or the KKK billboards that were up until the 1970s.

Clearly they realize that they are going counter to the will of the people. If they thought that the people actually supported what they were doing, they wouldn’t have to sneak around like this.

1 Like

There are a few ways they might rationalize it:

• They are doing the will of the people, it’s the rest of the political system that’s not
  • They’re doing what their voters want, damn the rest of the state
  • They’re doing what they religiously have to

Of course, it’s quite likely neither of those, and instead “this will make me look good to my ultraconservative voter base” … but failing that, all three sound plausible.

(This filler line is to make a format-only edit different enough to go through.)

I’m sure you’re correct. IMO people who think that their religious views should guide their representative vote and damn the voters should not be in public office.

1 Like

They are within their rights, and it would be a grave error to try and forbid them to do so … but yeah.

Well there you go; vicious and savage politicians for viscous savages.
Viscous-savage-cicle-jerk.
Sounds like a Daft Punk tune.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.