North Face boasts of defacing Wikipedia with ads (Updated with statement)

Patagonia should put out an ad campaign that is just images of the Patagonias, no copy, no logos, no CTA, and then “leak” that it was them, just to rub it in how much more woke they are than The North Face.

1 Like

I was wondering about that. Not all media uploaded to Wikimedia is automatically pledged to the public domain or given a public license, but the lack of that will automatically attract attention. If they did publicly license their photos, they might have been violating an agreement with the photographers (which would not be unusual in advertising in general).

3 Likes

Corporations are people, just people that never develop beyond adolescence.

2 Likes

Yea we may be talking about them, but the next time we are shopping for what ever and we see NF stuff, we think, “Oh yea, these were the guys that defaced Wikipedia” Then buy another brand.

3 Likes

A5 is now D4, sorta:
https://www.bigwallgear.com/about.html

1 Like

You sank my battleship!

3 Likes

Suggest going for the secondhand market, if you need that type of gear. That way, you’ll likely get the older, better stuff and not directly support North Face.

North Face: “Inconsequential low-level toady heads will roll!” /s

1 Like

A few really simple questions for North Face:

Did they terminate the advertising firm’s contract? If not, why not? When will they terminate the contract?

Of the North Face employees who approved this, are any still working there? If so, why? When will they be fired?

Why should we believe what you say?

1 Like

I guess I’d feel bad, if the bulk of the wikimods weren’t all assholes too.

1 Like

Absolutely NOT. To this very day I will not buy Tide due to extremely annoying, irritating ads in the '60’s. These ads were fucking designed to be that way, the premise (apparently) was that you’d remember the name, but forget the annoyance. Just did not work, now did it, Tide? Never forgive, never forget.

1 Like

I ran that through Google Translate and it came up with “being a cancerous menstrual clot”

We’re the same way about Ballpark hot dogs, because of an ad they ran back in like 2004.

So many brands out there. It helps to be able to exclude some. Never have to eat at Chick-Fil-A, for instance. Never have to buy Yuengling.

It’s a descending fifth like Gloria Gaynor’s “I will survive”

Do you realise that you are repeating a typical anti-Semitic tactic here? Would you mind to rephrase, or would you like to double down?

1 Like

It really is one of those statements that calls for an obligatory disclaimer, or at least the addition of “ultra-nationalist” before the word “Zionist” (there’s a spectrum here). Otherwise, it does raise the offensive and tiresome canard of the “Jewish conspiracy”, intentionally or not.

It would have been better and more accurate to have said “There was a rather sophisticated effort by Israeli ultra-nationalists too.”

1 Like

Wikimods are notoriously persnickity. How do you think Northface managed to make the edits and avoid their detection?

I know that any time you say anything critical of Israel people pop up finding an excuse to scream about antisemitism, but in reality your comment is the one that reeks of antisemitism. Zionism is a political ideology, and I used the term quite deliberately, since I do not know to which extent those involved were Jews (lots of evangelical Zionists too) or Israelis. Since it was CAMERA, an American organization, that was behind the plan, I’d be surprised if all those involved were from Israel. Trying to equal it with antisemitism implies that all Jews and only Jews support Israel, which is in itself an antisemitic trope.

(There have been later plots by settlers to influence Wikipedia, and there “Israeli ultra-nationalists” might be a fitting name)

Saying “a sophisticated American pro-Israel group called CAMERA” would have been more a lot more informative than “a sophisticated Zionist conspiracy”, and would have been a lot less likely to cause this derail (which I am ending my participation in with this comment).

1 Like

Thanks for your patience and showing how this could have been avoided. I flagged their comments. I won’t engage them any more, since they made it clear that they don’t see the problem and chose to accuse me of anti-Semitism in turn.

I’m strongly opposed to seeing anti-Semitic rhetorics around here.

1 Like