Plant-based meat company vandalizes the bacon Wikipedia article

Originally published at: Plant-based meat company vandalizes the bacon Wikipedia article | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Not very effective marketing, either. I’m vegetarian, have three or four kinds of fake meat in my fridge, and had never heard of them before this. Won’t be a customer of theirs either.

19 Likes

Free advertising can still cost you.

16 Likes

Not cool. The commons is not your backyard.

16 Likes

One might say that they couldn’t have been rasher in deciding on such a stunt. It’ll come back to haunt them, though I bet they thought they were having a winning streak(y) in their marketing stunts. I hope the bad publicity has cured them of any such idea.

15 Likes

Idiots. “This” is the kind of aggro shit that makes those who choose to avoid meat look bad.

20 Likes

Why give these vandals the courtesy of a link from the article. Publicity-seeking attempts like this should be surrounded by the wall of silence they richly deserve.

18 Likes

It’s also another example of the larger problem. There are too many folks who believe that they have the right to control aspects of other people’s lives. They go from setting an example to manipulation and worse.

20 Likes

but unethically manipulating Wikipedia is not the way to go.

Yeah, leave that to the Nazi apologists.

7 Likes

Indeed.

Besides, with a name like this, I’m sure they’re easy to Google.

7 Likes

It helps in the sense that I will never be buying a This™ plant-based meat product because of this stunt. I don’t reward edgelord behaviour.

12 Likes

Bollocks to this.

8 Likes

Plant-based bollocks? /s

8 Likes

That’s where pea protein comes from

9 Likes

Funny how they didn’t use word of mouth for their marketing campaign… As if their product only has a similar appearance to bacon.

2 Likes

I’m less worried about “unethical” advertising than I am about Nazis making subtle changes to articles about Nazis that are “weirdly exonerative and glorifying.”

As seen on some random website: One Woman’s Mission to Rewrite Nazi History on Wikipedia | WIRED

3 Likes

That is not uk bacon, so any one in the uk would notice instantly that it looks like fake amercan bacon, not like uk bacon.

British bacon looks like this,

https://www.fieldandflower.co.uk/butchers/back-bacon-smoked-240g

No association with the site, just the 1st that had uk bacon in google image search.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this brand in a fridge, and was immediately irritated. The only way a product comes to market with a name like that is if everyone involved is such an entitled cretin that when they have a stupid idea, they assume they’re geniuses because no one else has ever admitted to thinking of the same thing.

It would be hard to google the founders of this company due to its stingingly imbecilic name, but luckily I don’t need to google them to know for certain that they’re former public schoolboys who probably met at Durham and have names like Jonty or St John.

4 Likes

You’re right I don’t, because those pictures accurately represent the topic under discussion, much as the Wikipedia article about torture features actual images of human torture. You don’t have to like meat consumption to recognize the value in honest discussion of topics and the general shittiness of degrading the commons for a cheap marketing ploy.

5 Likes

Sure is.

Just like it’s funny that people can get all pretentious about not eating hacked up pig’s flesh, but then want to eat something that closely simulates the experience of eating hacked up pig’s flesh :confused:

2 Likes