North Korea claims to have tested "Hydrogen bomb of Justice"

I’d argue “regional prestige”, rather than national, but yeah.

1 Like

The South Korean intelligence service said that, “even a failed H-bomb detonation typically yields tens of kilotons” and the magnitude of the quake would have been more than the ~5 that was seen.

Are you saying that you actually know about what happens in a failed test of a thermonuclear weapon? Because that’s some pretty specific information, right there.

1 Like

Not if the first stage is a fizzle and fails igniting the second stage.

It’s nothing more than quite rudimentary nuclear weapons physics.

I kind of wrote this: Pit (nuclear weapon) - Wikipedia
…and this: Mushroom cloud - Wikipedia

Given the guess that it was a primary stage fizzle, it is pretty likely the Teller-Ulam (or Sloika, if Norks went the less sophisticated old Russian way) physics did not even get into play.

Most of the experts are not agreeing with you.

And what about the argument that the site they used was inappropriate for an H-bomb test, had it succeeded? It’s just not credible to think that they’re jumping ahead all the way to working on miniaturized, lower yield thermonuclear. So if your theory is correct, then the test almost certainly would have been underburied. And I’m sure they’re quite keen to keep a lid on the gases, so that wouldn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

It’s quite possible I am wrong here, I did not read the details of the test yet. And make it a hypothesis, I don’t know nearly enough about this case to posit a theory. But speculating is fun.

That’s a good argument. Seems the test was intended to be low-yield. How low could be inferred from the site design.

True that. Even the small linear implosion devices are quite a technological jump.

So it was most likely an attempt for a boosted fission device, I’d guess.

2 Likes

Hydrogen bomb of Justice?

Someone set us up the bomb?

6 Likes

I think the casting was done in something else that became the mold for a bronze piece.

1 Like

You have no chance, make your time.

1 Like

I assumed you were talking about the US and UK here, who are both working on new and improved nukes for reasons which I’m sure don’t sound very satisfactory to other countries (or this taxpayer).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.