Norwegian Islamophobes confuse empty bus seats with women in burkas

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/01/norwegian-islamophobes-confuse.html

5 Likes

Easily could happen here in the US, and likely does.

16 Likes

Given that they can’t recognize the seats for what they are, I’m guessing these haters rarely ride the bus.

24 Likes

What does it say about me that I thought it looked like Sith Lords in a bus?

11 Likes

Does Norway inject itself into (that is, overthrow governments in and bomb the shit out of) middle eastern countries too? They seem to have more than enough of their own oil. Doesn’t seem like they have much reason to fear terrorism
blowback.

2 Likes

So you’re saying ISIS has cloaking technology??

21 Likes

Wouldn’t this be a niqab (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Woman_in_niqab%2C_Aleppo_(2010).jpg) rather than a Burqa (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Burqa_IMG_1127.jpg). Not to be pedantic or anything…

5 Likes

There’s apparently a small but vocal contingent of Norwegians that believe ebil immigrants are draining all their resources and ruining the Norwegian Way of Life. I’ve got a friend in Norway who rants about these people a lot. He says there’s been some really political deportations of children and people who’ve lived for years in Norway.

But of course Norway’s last mass-murderer was a right-wing white supremacist.

23 Likes

Almost makes me want to post this image as bait.

But I am glad some part of my brain has some sense.

1 Like

I remember getting on a bus after work one evening. Then a very recent and very painful ex of mine got on the bus with her new hotter, sexier, better job, owned a home, and she had cheated with this man to get what she needed … they got on the bus right before a woman in a full niqab got on the bus.

I was ideologically trapped. I wanted off the bus because seeing my ex and him really made me feel humiliated, hot headed, and she saw me and gave me a huge s-eating-grin.

I got up and jumped off the bus because I didn’t want to both cry and scream.

And of course everyone on the bus was all #smh because white guy saw niqab and ran.

I felt so low.

3 Likes

Then there’s this poor schmuck who desperately tried to sneak in disguised as a car seat.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Who cares, they are all the same right??? /s

(…as I’m reminded of the last time this was brought up in that hijab song post)

3 Likes

… or perhaps they do, but not in higher seat, ‘high-class’ :smirk: buses.

8 Likes

Anyone speak Norwegian well enough to confirm this isn’t just a joke?

“People see what they want to see and what they want to see are idiotic racists”

1 Like

Not only are we quick to comment, but when someone points out the truth, we don’t bother to read that comment and post more of our bs.

You know who else could be a terrorist? Literally anybody. Maybe not even a terrorist, maybe just a person having a psychotic episode who is hurting people with imagined, or even no discernible motives at all.

5 Likes

Just from the text, it seems legit. There’s even one saying “they are just empty seats, but it looks scary”. I’ve unfortunately seen other actual posts on facebook and in other fora that are quite similar. They are typically heavy on superlatives and inventive spelling. Not necessarily because the author can’t spell, but because they write something that’s phonetically closer to their dialect. And uncommonly proud of that dialect. There is a lot of everyday racism here…

4 Likes

Yeah… Just look at our political leadership with FrP (The Progress Party, once known as “Anders Langes party for strongly reduced taxes, fees and government intervention”) and Høyre (Right), both are; surprise , surprise, against any form of immigration. Also, Norway has, unfortunately, taken part of every Nato coalition effort in Afghanistan and Iraq, so there should be plenty for someone to hate us for…

2 Likes