Not again! Another Boeing plane catches fire — makes emergency landing in Indonesia (video)

And right there, EASA part 66 licence required (subpart not specified). Definitely not Jiffy Lube.

My hot take (so to speak): Based only on the video this could be a result of FOD ingestion. Avionics probably wouldnt have registered the brief pop of flame but the resulting affect on the engine from a broken fan blade would be noticeable and reported to the cockpit.

I guess I need to add discussions about Boeing to the list.

7 Likes

The culprit here is the FAA as I’m merely quoting their regulations on English proficiency + a Vanity Fair piece citing the FAA regulations and a lack of English proficiency contributing to accidents.

Not my words y’all, the FAA. Save your anger for them. :woman_shrugging:

Again, denigrating my Canadian citizenship is a xenophobic dog whistle. I’m honestly surprised that’s allowed.

I’m only noticing that you live in a place where the main language is not English, which I know because you’ve brought your citizenship up before, and definitely seems relevant to you questioning what work can be done in non-English-speaking countries. It certainly never occurred to me that that’s “denigrating” your citizenship, because I don’t think any less of such places. If anything I am suggesting I would have expected better from someone in Québec.

After accusing me of building a straw man by responding to your actual words, this strikes me as a pretty bad faith accusation.

9 Likes

Seriously, though, there are many problems in the aviation industry, but English proficiency is not one of them.

2 Likes

Vanity Fair is a well respected aviation professional journal.

10 Likes

Obviously. It has the word Air right there in the title.

13 Likes

Vanity Fair: for when you want to read cutting-edge technical discourse while waiting for your haircut.

6 Likes

It’s just a shame it’s mandatory to cite them whether or not you agree with their opinion.

5 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

I’m quite disappointed in Vanity Fair for printing an article like that.

They took a story that was clearly about the exploitation of foreign workers to save on maintenance costs, and then they buried the lede and warped it into an article about how “airplanes are more dangerous now because people in El Salvador don’t speak English no good,” which is a bizarre tangent to go off on.

4 Likes

It also reinforces racism and distracts from the real problem at hand with regards to boeing planes…

8 Likes