Nothing contradictory about retreating from region you just annexed, says Russia

With “Yakkity Sax” as the cover music.

5 Likes

It offers a flimsy fig leaf of respectability for people already prone to swallowing Russian propaganda, and has no effect on anyone else. It has not won hearts and minds in people in the regions who were just bullied into participating in a farce, and the “hamstrung” West remains united in support of the Ukrainian government.

8 Likes

What does this even mean?

You think Ukraine is losing the war because they’re running out of Russian troops to shoot at?

18 Likes

So Kaliningrad Královec is now restored as part of the Czech Republic? Brilliant move to annex it without firing a shot.

In other news, I have started a petition to annex Moscow as a suburb of Moose Jaw.

18 Likes

It means that certain unnamed posters here have bought Putin’s propaganda that Russia is fighting NATO in Ukraine.

10 Likes

5 Likes

I rarely retreat, but when I do, I flounce.

9 Likes

In the spring I saw some respected military analysts predicting that by mid summer Russia would be losing ground, simply based on troop and equipment losses, and the reality of how long it takes to train new forces. It maybe took a little longer than that (or maybe mid-summer was a turning point of sorts leading to the massive loses of the last two weeks) but the fact is the war is re-shaping Russia from within almost as much as it’s destroying infrastructure in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1578118693925552128

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1578112092409802752

6 Likes

I would argue that the declared annexation is meaningless talk. It doesn’t change the facts on the ground, where the Ukrainians have shown the ability to conduct successful offensive operations. It doesn’t change what is in the hearts of the Ukrainian people which Putin seems to have seriously misjudged. And it doesn’t change any part of Putin’s cost/benefit judgment about using nuclear weapons. How does any possible advantage gained by using them stack up against the total political and economic isolation and the possibility of total nuclear annihilation? It’s not like Putin cares about international law. He is constrained not by laws, but by consequences, and the consequences of him using nuclear weapons are not changed in the slightest by his declaration that parts of the Ukraine are now his.

7 Likes

America is in trouble, because now that we see there are literally no legal or military requirements needed to annex something, Russia could take back Alaska at any moment.

10 Likes

Sarah Palin tried to warn us!

10 Likes

It’s been a great marketing effort for NATO equipment like anti tank, anti aircraft and anti ship missiles.

4 Likes

Can we just give them the Palin clan?

1 Like

It is meaningful on two counts
One, that the newly-mobilised conscripts can legally be required to fight in them (not that legitimacy really bothers the Russian commanders); and
Two, mothers/wives/girlfriends/relatives/friends can be told that their sons died fighting on and for Russian soil

3 Likes

Three, men from the occupied territories can be deemed to be Russian citizens and mobilised.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.