Nothing wrong with duct-taped contraption stopped by cops on motorway

These ones?

I assume that is the rider, rather than the police person.

4 Likes

Various jurisdictions have their own rules about rebuilt cars, modified cars, frankencars and “kit cars” (there are concerns about stolen parts and use of accident damaged components) but there seems to be a soft spot for totally “from scratch” body/frame vehicles, if you can convince an inspector that they satisfy the requirements of your local Motor Vehicle Act and emissions control regs.

5 Likes

Or the sergeant’s colleague. Here’s the tweet it is from, don’t try to tell me that smile isn’t a classic copper’s smile:
https://twitter.com/Traffic_Sgt/status/1163327210075426817

4 Likes

16 Likes

Bet that rider thinks twice before braving the crosswinds on the Dartford Crossing though.

As my bike gets older it carries more and more duct tape.

4 Likes

Twice in the last week I’ve seen reporters for a reputable media org talk about “changing tact”

6 Likes

Well, duck tape is tactier than the duct variety. Needs to be, to stick to the duck.

11 Likes
4 Likes
14 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Being as I’m not a driver I’m not very well acquainted with UK traffic law, but at a guess I’d imagine the stop is justified by the eminently reasonable suspicion that he wasn’t fulfilling the necessary road laws.

8 Likes

All the disadvantages of a car, combined with the disadvantages of a motorcycle. :smiley:

5 Likes

The MOT is pretty exacting, and it’s just been made even hadrer to pass in the last year or so. Having said that, I’d look askance at this one too, but hey. It passed!

5 Likes

And inversely, I vaguely remember a (licensed?) pub-style videogame version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire where Chris Wotsisname would reassure me in a speech bubble that I “still have my three lifelines in tack.”

4 Likes

I think most of the stunt ‘cars’ from Top Gear were designed to be roadworthy by Edd China.

8 Likes

11 Likes
4 Likes

I think the rider might be a hobbit.

3 Likes

One of them Smallfeet frum over Strawberry 'ill way?

3 Likes