Now anyone can be a Rolling Stone columnist, if they pay $2000 up front.

Originally published at: Now anyone can be a Rolling Stone columnist, if they pay $2000 up front. | Boing Boing

1 Like

Ah, the Forbes pay-for-play approach to brand self-debasement. Good luck with that.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t pay top dollar for my ideas… maybe that would shut me up?
You could become a host of a DIY podcast called JK Rowling Philosopher Stone and spout off ideas for free?

1 Like

Now, anyone with money can do it, even without the pedigree!

Um, not, not anyone, only “thought leaders” and “business executives,” ie self-promoters and egomaniacal psychopaths. I predict some quality prose will be showing up shortly.

9 Likes

Late stage rock ‘n’ roll.

Pertinent thread.

8 Likes

Considering that $2k doesn’t get you published, I will just clone the press pass you get. I will save a bunch of money and still not get published, because I write drivel.

2 Likes

Case in point…

Sorry, can’t help but pick low hanging fruit :laughing:

Ugh. Is that why it took so long to get established as a writer? I should have been including $2,000 with each submission. Duly noted.

That’s what I get for doing all that work for exposure :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Culture Council?

Cancel Culture?

So confused.

Funny to see this article on a blog that extensively mixes in paid advertising with the actual content… with almost zero visual distinction.

4 Likes

Will this finally eliminate the Rolling Stone readership? If not, why?

Oh, we’re big culture writers.
We got golden fingers.
And we’re loved everywhere we go.
We write about beauty,
And we write about truth
At two thousand dollars a year.
We take all kinds of pills
To give us all kind of thrills,
But the thrill we’ve never known
Is the thrill that’ll getcha
When you get your picture
On the cover of the Rolling Stone.

(with apologies to Shel Silverstein)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.