Now in print: William S Burroughs' lost guide to overthrowing a corrupt government

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/05/trumpism-cognates.html

9 Likes

Yeah but what if the government decides it doesn’t need to conceal it anymore, either? Cuz, you know…

16 Likes

6 Likes

This is a chillingly accurate foretelling of what the Trump administration has been doing for the past 22 months. Burroughs always was a futurist.

23 Likes

What’s with the cover? Surely it wouldn’t involve guns??!!!??

3 Likes

If there was ever a guy that you shouldn’t trust with a gun - it’s Burroughs.

Burroughs killed Vollmer in what he first admitted to and shortly thereafter denied as a drunken attempt at [playing William Tell.

24 Likes

Keep your powder dry.

3 Likes

You know, I don’t think that excerpt is going to overthrow much of anything. I don’t think it’s even going to overthrow Noam Chomsky.

10 Likes

I think most people are aware. He still spent the rest of his life obsessed with guns, too. He was in the Ministry video, New World Order, shooting things.

I dunno…

16 Likes

I could never understand how he could be such an enthusiast for firearms after shooting his wife in the head.

7 Likes

Isn’t this the playbook that Putin, Alex Jones, and their ilk have been working from?

10 Likes

Burroughs’ point here would work with modifications. All it would require is somehow hacking Faux News specifically with “corrected” clips of their talking heads saying things critical of Herr Drumpfenfuhrer or GOP policy or whatnot, mixed in with utter nonsense and their regular drivel.

5 Likes

The Ticket That Exploded is a 1962 novel by American author William S. Burroughs

The word meme is a neologism coined by Richard Dawkins.[11] It originated from Dawkins’ 1976 book The Selfish Gene . Dawkins’s own position is somewhat ambiguous: he welcomed N. K. Humphrey’s suggestion that “memes should be considered as living structures, not just metaphorically”[12] and proposed to regard memes as “physically residing in the brain”.[13]

17 Likes

It seems like murdering her had a profound effect on him for the rest of his life. But guns were a part of his identity, and how many of us are really able to amputate a part of our own identity when it fails to serve us?

3 Likes

Interesting. I just watched Naked Lunch for the first time a few weeks ago. Innnnteresting.

3 Likes

so is that what we’re supposed to do? or is that what Trump is doing?

5 Likes

This is pretty useless in a post-4chan irony-poisoning kind of world.

Also: I’m not sure I want Burroughs to be the guy who decides what kind of government is useful and sustainable, dude was a pretty shit human being who never really demonstrated an ability to transcend the privilege that he was born into.

12 Likes

5 Likes

This is bonkers

3 Likes

There’s actually a guy working for Putin who has been named in sanctions. He’s like a media/political czar who believes in a post-modern police state, where Putin funds and creates opposition political parties, and all sorts of shit. He even advertises what he’s doing. He actually labeled all the phones in his office with the names of the opposition parties, then let the media in to take pictures and interview him so everyone would know what he was doing. He’s really pioneered disinformation in the modern era.

This American Life did a long report on him earlier this year, or late last, but I can’t find it for the life of me. Also, can’t find who this guy is using my google fu.

8 Likes